Is the phpBB4 Chameleon style worth it?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Random American

Is the phpBB4 Chameleon style worth it?

Post by Random American »

It's the theme designed to be for phpBB4, and it has been in development since 2018. It is considered this grand new frontier for phpBB but seeing images of it, it doesn’t look that grand IMHO. Also, won’t most phpBB users change it anyway to a theme of their choice, just like many already do with prosilver?

I’m not the only person who thinks this is a waste of time. I was told that prosilver has issues in its current state, but is it necessary to reinvent the wheel to fix them?

Sorry I posted this in Chit Chat, but I'm not sure which category to put this in. It's not like I'm commenting on something in the issue tracker or anything of that nature.
Last edited by Random American on Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand with Ukraine!

david63

Re: Is the Chameleon style worth it?

Post by david63 »

The answer to the question "Is it worth it?" is, of course, yes because we do not pay for it therefore we will be eternally grateful for whatever we are given - whenever (if at all) we are given it.

It matters not one bit to me as I will not be using it - cannot be bothered re-writing extensions to use it. Sadly it means that I will not benefit from the other features that will, hopefully, be in phpBB4 that I am waiting for - but just maybe phpBB4 will be released without Chameleon and then have it added at some later date - at the current rate of development somewhere around 2050!!

There is also another option that somebody will come along and fork phpBB and continue to develop it at a faster rate using already developed, tried and tested, tools.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Random American

david63 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:17 pmThe answer to the question "Is it worth it?" is, of course, yes ...
Money is not the only measurement of "worth." People's time does have value and that includes the team and volunteers. The loss of extensions is also a cost, even if not a financial one.
Stand with Ukraine!

GTi

Post by GTi »

Bit harsh to say is it worth it after someone has invested many hours of his time working on layouts and icons.

I believe that I read either here at Area 51 or on the support forum that prosilver would be available with phpBB4, except some of the new features that will be in Chameleon will not be available in prosilver.

If that remains the case then whether Chameleon is worth it or not isn't important because prosilver will be there for those who wish to retain a traditional look to their forum and Chameleon will be there for those who wish to have a modern design.

Random American

I was told it would result in changes that are problematic to current extensions, and if true, that is not something I would want. I'm not trying to be "harsh," but rather realistic.
Stand with Ukraine!

GTi

Post by GTi »

Random American wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:16 pm I was told it would result in changes that are problematic to current extensions, and if true, that is not something I would want. I'm not trying to be "harsh," but rather realistic.
Chameleon is just a style so I would imagine that if extensions won't work it will be phpBB4 that is the issue.

So if phpBB4 meant the loss of usage of hundreds of extensions in the CDB, well an adaption to something a famous American once said... "phpBB3 Refugees - stand back and stand by" it's gonna be big. :lol:

Random American

GTi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:18 pm
Random American wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:16 pm I was told it would result in changes that are problematic to current extensions, and if true, that is not something I would want. I'm not trying to be "harsh," but rather realistic.
Chameleon is just a style so I would imagine that if extensions won't work it will be phpBB4 that is the issue.

So if phpBB4 meant the loss of usage of hundreds of extensions in the CDB, well an adaption to something a famous American once said... "phpBB3 Refugees - stand back and stand by" it's gonna be big. :lol:
Changes to phpBB4 specifically for the new style is probably where many of the issues are going to lie.
Stand with Ukraine!

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

The problem is that most of the extension rely on the use of the classes used in prosilver and I'm 99% sure those won't be present in the new style. So i would say keeping prosilver for 4.0.0 is essential.

david63

Post by david63 »

Mannix_ wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:07 am i would say keeping prosilver for 4.0.0 is essential.
I don't think that anyone disagrees with that statement but the issue is that there will need to be some significant changes made to prosilver if it is to be compatible with phpBB4/Chameleon due to the fact that it is a requirement of Chameleon that all html is removed from the core .php files.
GTi wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:07 pm I believe that I read either here at Area 51 or on the support forum that prosilver would be available with phpBB4, except some of the new features that will be in Chameleon will not be available in prosilver.
Time will tell - but I am not holding my breath that it will.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

GTi

Post by GTi »

A concern I have seen raised twice over the months but removed on both occasions by either moderators or the poster is regarding Chameleon being developed by one person.

What if he has a change of job or circumstances which means he has a lot less time to put into the project?

If someone else picked up the project they would have to spend a lot of their time getting familiar with it before they can continue its development.