A language selection ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
uman

A language selection ?

Post by uman »

Hello,

Actually, to be able to change a language, you have to go to the UCP (that mean you have to make an account first).

Problem is, if my website is in french and an american visits my forum, he will be lost and don't know how to make an account, and go to the UCP and then change his forum in english (if the user isn't using a lot phpbb forums of course).

So I was wondering if there could create a string "?lang=", that will allow us to change languages through the URL.

Some extra ideas :
-When somebody register on the website, his account automaticly set his language in his account in the language he was when he logged in.
Then he receives an EMAIL in his language to confirm the inscription.

If you don't understand, please ask question, i'm french and I had some trouble expressing myself here :D .

Tom

Re: A language selection ?

Post by Tom »

I like this idea. There is something like the ?lang= in the URL for styles, so I don't see why they couldn't eventually create something like that for languages, as well. I understand your point about languages on the forum. Maybe the developers will take this into consideration. ;)
Tom Catullo - Moderator Team Member
phpBB.com | Area51 Rules & Regulations | My Projects

Daz

Post by Daz »

Hi,

I also like this idea.

Daz
Ignore the voices, they will get bored eventually...

uman

Post by uman »

Because I think that right know, in order to have a forum with 2 languages, we need 2 forums with 2 separate database... and that's not a very efficient way.

jcr83

Post by jcr83 »

Any progress in this area since last year ?
I have the same problem: I want to setup a multi-lingual forum, and I would like to be able to select the forum language via the URL, for unregistered users.

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

jcr83 wrote:Any progress in this area since last year ?
I have the same problem: I want to setup a multi-lingual forum, and I would like to be able to select the forum language via the URL, for unregistered users.
This should be made into an RFC for 3.2. If someone gets a patch done sooner, it can be implemented into 3.1. EDIT: post
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.