BBcode for opening a link in local network

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
SpyZip

BBcode for opening a link in local network

Post by SpyZip »

I need to add in my forum BBcode for opening a link to a folder or file on the surver in local network for example "\\Pavel-pc\public\Flash", but with URL tag it wont open, couse it's not http://
Thanks!

slorge

Re: BBcode for opening a link in local network

Post by slorge »

Same here. We're using phpbb3 on our intranet only, so I need to have the ability to link to file shares on servers...
Haven't been able to do it yet...

slorge

Post by slorge »

I got this format to work, but only in Internet explorer. It doesn't work in firefox or chrome. I haven't tested it in Safari, Opera, etc.

Code: Select all

[url=file://servername/fileshare/file.html]LAN link[/url]

Kolthor

Post by Kolthor »

The proper URI for a network share would be file://servername/fileshare/file.html -- however Firefox at least, will not open "file:"-links from a remote host, for security reasons. You can trick it, by referring to localhost, and then redirecting it to the remote host. You can do this by using file://localhost///servername/fileshare/file.html ("localhost/" can be shortened to just "/" so file://///servername/fileshare/file.html will work).

However, for security reasons, Firefox will never open "file:"-links from a page fetched using another protocol, so "file:"-links WILL NEVER WORK from a phpBB forum -- at least not with Firefox, and most likely not with most other browsers either.

You should do one of the following:
  • Upload the file to an internal webserver and link to it
  • Attach it to the forum post
  • Instruct your users to manually locate the file or copy/paste the link
  • Instruct your users to use Internet Explorer for the intranet forum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Re ... Identifier

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Kolthor wrote:You can do this by using file://localhost///servername/fileshare/file.html ("localhost/" can be shortened to just "/" so file://///servername/fileshare/file.html will work).
://////////

I never knew that, thanks :D

~Callum
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Simpel

Post by Simpel »

Hi,

that file://localhost stuff works great. My problem is that my users are copying and pasting the adress from the windows explorer. So I need a bbcode that's adding "file://localhost/" at the start and what's changing windows backslashes into the correct slashes. Can anybody help me?

Regards, Conrad