Information Storage

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Surreal

Information Storage

Post by Surreal »

phpBB hasn't ever really stored all the information on posting.

Mostly I'm looking at storing information such as in a reply, no information seems to be stored about the post id of the explicit message being replied to. I'm thinking if this sort of information got saved in standard phpBB, then certain Mods might be easier to create without having to re-invent the entire posting process.
code reader

Re: Information Storage

Post by code reader »

phpbb in not threaded forum, it's flat.
what that means, is that the"reply" is per thread (aka topic) rather than per specific message.
i think that there are some styles which contain "reply" button on each message, but the actual code does not recognize a post as a parent of a post.
A post, in phpbb, is always the child of a topic, and the different posts within a topic are organized by order of posting, i.e., chronologically.

i think i saw some beginning of MODs supporting threaded operation of phpbb (not sure now if it was phpbb2, 3, or both). in my opinion, this is a waste of time: if you want a threaded forum, choose a forum software which was designed as threaded.

To summarize:
Surreal wrote:information such as in a reply, no information seems to be stored about the post id of the explicit message being replied to.
it's not that this information is not saved, it's that it never existed in the first place: in phpbb you don't respond to a specific post, you respond to a topic. the topic id, of course, is stored.

hope it helps.
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

code reader wrote:phpbb in not threaded forum, it's flat.
what that means, is that the"reply" is per thread (aka topic) rather than per specific message.
i think that there are some styles which contain "reply" button on each message, but the actual code does not recognize a post as a parent of a post.
A post, in phpbb, is always the child of a topic, and the different posts within a topic are organized by order of posting, i.e., chronologically.

Right, I'm very familiar with the Team and their stance on not creating a Threaded forum.
I'm okay with that. I'm just saying that I think there would be little difference as to whether just the Topic responded to was saved, or the Topic and Specific Message. Since I think there would be a marginal difference, it might be worthwhile for this information to be stored.

The reason behind it would be Modability really, even if it's not a word *grins* With this information stored as part of the standard phpBB, it would allow for modifications for different views (yea, threaded views too) without having to do what would basically be a total fork. I mean to Mod/Add Threaded views into the existing forum you have to basically re-write a major part of the phpBB code to handle it. If the messages responded to were stored, you could make a Mod for threaded views, upgrade versions of phpBB, and even run without the mod without a detrimental affect to the forum functioning. It would/could be completely compatible since it wouldn't affect the standard phpBB tables/info.

I guess I see it as a change/feature to the phpBB core that would enhance what could be done with it, with what I see as little to no detrimental affect to the phpBB core itself. It'd just be extra or alternate information stored.

I know there was one for phpBB2, it was always out of date which is something I couldn't consider reliable from a security standpoint.

It'd be much better if you could have a versions that was 100% compatible, extensible and interchangeable. Not specifically for a Threaded views Mod, but I'm sure for other possible mods that would become more feasible with this sort of information stored.

Just my two cents, and it's not as though I'd say they should add threaded support, that's a horse beaten to death. Simply a way to make such modifications more feasible.

Thanks!
~Surreal
code reader

Post by code reader »

not sure you understood my point:
there is no "specific message you respond to".
the "reply" button belongs to the whole thread/topic. unless you always assume one responded to the last message in the thread (in which case it would be redundant to store the information), there is nothing to go by.

in order to be able to respond to a specific message, one would need a "reply" button on each post. it's not enough to change the style - you would need some code to generate the different buttons.

so, as i tried to say in my first post, it is not merely a question of storing the information, it's the fact that the information is not available to be stored in the first place.

a different question, and a relatively small change would be to bring the "quote" box to where it is in practically any other forum software i'm familiar with, i.e. to add to the "quote" box a link to the quoted post.
however, a quote is different than a reply: you do quote a specific message, but you do not reply to a specific message in phpbb.
Surreal

Post by Surreal »

I see what you mean... however I only have one item to add that doesn't fit that paradigm.

For Example, when you make a post, it is assigned a post id, this even seems to be saved, the best example is after you post a reply, whether or not you quoted the original topic. This exists for each and every post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29919#p194262

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29919#p194267

Both are direct links to explicit responses in this thread chain. So phpBB isn't keeping track of 'just' the master post, it does already keep track of each post as well to an extent. I do understand that it doesn't keep track of which post has been responded to specifically, I guess that is kinda the point, I think adding this would be useful.

There are other forum softwares that don't/will not provide strictly threaded views, that do also store this information. Not saying that's a reason or an excuse, simply that I think this is something that down the road might be useful for phpBB to store as well for greater flexibility.

Thanks!

~Surreal