Posting setup question

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
MKruer

Posting setup question

Post by MKruer »

Sorry if this is listed somewhere else, but is there a way to limit the number of posts a person can make in a given time frame? Like 1 post per hour?

Thanks

-Matt-

Handyman

Re: Posting setup question

Post by Handyman »

There isn't a limit based on the user, but there is a flood limit… though it's global… doesn't sound quite like what you're looking for.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Thanks Handyman

Yeah that’s what I thought. Just wondering, On one of my sites there are a few people that freak out over some trivial reason and [try] start a flame war. I was hoping to limit this by artificially restricting posting. Do something like you can only modify your post within 30 minutes, but you can only post if someone else responds, and only after an hour. Or something to that effect, the general idea is to spread out the hot headedness and hopefully having those people spend some cooling off time.

Oh well looks like a MOD opportunity.

ChrisRLG

Post by ChrisRLG »

Remember you can put people like that on mod queue.

That way you/mods have to approve the post before it is public.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

MKruer wrote: Or something to that effect, the general idea is to spread out the hot headedness and hopefully having those people spend some cooling off time.

Yes, the queue feature seem the most reasonable thing you may use.
Unfortunately there is still no artificial automated intelligence that can compete with natural human stupidity. Eh.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

You can also set an edit limit where users have a time period after they post until they can't edit their post.
I believe this can be set by forum so it's not that way for all.
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

Ok dumb question. I know there is a spam intervals like you can not post within 15 seconds of you last post, this has been carried over to phpbb3, however in phpbb2 if you made a post, and then went back to edit it, you would sometimes run into that 15 second issue, even if you are not adding anything just fixing stuff like spelling mistakes or grammar. Has this been addressed in phpbb3. I never run into this issue because I such a slow typist, but I know a few people that can type faster then they think which tend to get them into trouble.

I guess what I would really be looking at is some type of automated posting flow control then anything else.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

no, it hasn't been changed.
Mainly because its a flood limit and therefore applies to all posting and editing.

pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

MKruer wrote: Ok dumb question. I know there is a spam intervals like you can not post within 15 seconds of you last post, this has been carried over to phpbb3, however in phpbb2 if you made a post, and then went back to edit it, you would sometimes run into that 15 second issue, even if you are not adding anything just fixing stuff like spelling mistakes or grammar. Has this been addressed in phpbb3. I never run into this issue because I such a slow typist, but I know a few people that can type faster then they think which tend to get them into trouble.

I guess what I would really be looking at is some type of automated posting flow control then anything else.

No, IIRC you don't have the flood limit when editing.
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions