what is 'save' for when editing an existing post?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
asinshesq

what is 'save' for when editing an existing post?

Post by asinshesq »

When a user is editing an already existing post, why does olympus allow him to 'save' that post?

As far as I can tell, if you 'save' a post you are editing, the original post remains unchanged and a new draft gets created. When you submit that draft as a live post, it becomes a 'reply' to the original post rather than replacing it. What was the thinking behind setting things up that way?

I ask because I'm trying to figure out whether to hide the 'save' button on my board for existing posts being edited, but if there's a good reason for that functionality I'd like to know about it before I go ahead and hide the button. (I need to deal with this one way or another, since editing a post with a survey in it (using my tabulated survey mod) and then saving the edit currently messes up the original post.
Alan
asinshesq

Re: what is 'save' for when editing an existing post?

Post by asinshesq »

By the way, for anyone who thinks the treatment of 'save' for edited posts is counterintuitive, here's a small change that changes it to a method to clone a post to a new topic:

Code: Select all

OPEN
posting.php

FIND
				'topic_id'		=> $topic_id,

REPLACE WITH
				'topic_id'		=> ($mode != 'edit') ? $topic_id : '',
That will keep the 'save' button working the usual way for new posts and new replies, but if you edit an existing post and save it, it will be saved as a brand new draft topic so that when you submit the draft it will post as a new topic in the same forum where the old post was.
Alan
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I would practically consider this a bug, actually...
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Eelke wrote: I would practically consider this a bug, actually...

Then what did you think of my 'fix'? ;)
Alan
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

If I understand your fix correctly (and I'm thinking I don't...), it changes the behaviour so that instead of a reply to the same topic it will become an entirely new topic? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that is correct, I think that's even more counterintuitive for a button that reads "Save" than the behaviour you reported in the first post.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Eelke wrote: If I understand your fix correctly (and I'm thinking I don't...), it changes the behaviour so that instead of a reply to the same topic it will become an entirely new topic? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if that is correct, I think that's even more counterintuitive for a button that reads "Save" than the behaviour you reported in the first post.

To me, the question is not 'is this counterintuitive?' Rather, the question is 'is this useful?'. If an approach is useful, it can always be made 'intuitive' by adding proper instructions (e.g. by changing the confirm box text to explain what's going on).

I was unable to see much of a purpose in allowing. a user to edit his post, save it and then post it as a reply to the edited post. Under what circumstances would someone find that a useful thing to do? If the point is to allow someone to build off his first post in a reply, it's already easy enough to copy and paste, or to quote, or to quote and get rid of tags, or whatever.

On the other hand, imagine a board where there are many topics in a forum that have a similar form (for example, a forum asking for user input on a series of movies, one per topic). My 'fix' (not really a fix since it's possible this wasn't a bug to begin with) allows the user to 'clone' multiple topics from a given 'template' topic. This is a huge time saver for people who are running surveys on their forums (using the tabulated survey mod), since each survey take a ton of time to design. That's why there are a lot of people who use the clone mod in phpbb2...to clone topics that have complex surveys or polls in them so that they don't have to start from scratch each time they begin a new survey (or poll).

This 'fix' by itself doesn't allow a user to clone a poll since the phpbb3 developers (for a reason I don't really understand) choose not to allow polls to be saved in draft form. But since surveys can take a lot of lead time to do well, I've coded the olympus versioin of my tabulated survey mod so that it will save in draft form; thus, if a user sets up a survey in a topic, he can use this 'new' behavior of edit-save to clone survey topics. (Still not that great, I admit...at some point I'll probably re-do my clone mod for olympus so the user has the ability to select the target forum where the new clone will go and can (if he's an admin) select whether to post in his own name or the name of the original poster.
Alan
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

asinshesq wrote: To me, the question is not 'is this counterintuitive?'

Hate to be a spoilsport, but...
asinshesq wrote: By the way, for anyone who thinks the treatment of 'save' for edited posts is counterintuitive

;)
To me, this definitely is the question and the nature of the "bug". The "bug" to me is that the save button does something unexpected. And although with your change the unexpected effect may be more useful, it's still unexpected.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Eelke wrote: The "bug" to me is that the save button does something unexpected. And although with your change the unexpected effect may be more useful, it's still unexpected.

Understood. But it's only unexpected if you don't change the text. If people like the new behavior, they would change the text in the confirm box so that when you try to save a post you are editing the confirm box text would tell you that you are saving the old post as a brand new topic. And perhaps they would change the word 'save' as it appears in a post being edited to something ellse (like 'clone'). My fix was not the actual mod...it was simply a tinker to get this to do something I viewed as more useful than the unmodded behavior.

But I still have some suspicion that the developers did this on purpose for some reason...
Alan
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

asinshesq wrote: they would change the text in the confirm box [...]. And perhaps they would change the word 'save'

Sure, then I'd actually consider it a fix :)
But I still have some suspicion that the developers did this on purpose for some reason...

[bad-yoda-imitation]The ways of the developers, mysterious they are[/bad-yoda-imitation] :)
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Eelke wrote: [bad-yoda-imitation]The ways of the developers, mysterious they are[/bad-yoda-imitation] :)

:mrgreen:
Alan