Language auto choose,----->Let the guest choose language.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
textilebbs

Re: Language auto choose,-->Let the guest choose language

Post by textilebbs »

I do the textile international trade ,Have clients world wide whom don't speak English fluently.
I just set up A BBS,and hope person in every country can use it expediently.

Chears
Last edited by textilebbs on Wed May 16, 2007 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eelke

Re: Language auto choose,

Post by Eelke »

Redhair: if you're using Firefox, you can set a primary, secondary, etc. language for websites to use. Although if your browser defaults to Dutch, that must mean the browser itself is Dutch..? Actually, I found out about this because I have the reverse situation; I prefer an English browser, but I would still prefer a website to use Dutch if available :)

th23

Post by th23 »

Eelke wrote: Instead, I would just have clicked the little Dutch flag everytime I came to the site, and be annoyed for a few seconds every time I came to the site :)

As far as I've it in mind it's purely a fall back option to look at the browser set language...if you've choosen one via your UCP phpBB uses that language once you're logged in... Please correct me if I'm wrong

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Er... just to clearify, that comment you're quoting from me wasn't about a phpBB site. I was just explaining how I found out that it's possible for the browser to determine the language a site offers you. And also that it's quite possible that people don't know about this possibility (which means it might still be nice if you could configure phpBB to not use the browser setting as a fallback, but use a fixed default language instead - not a biggy, though).

redhair

Post by redhair »

Eelke wrote: Redhair: if you're using Firefox, you can set a primary, secondary, etc. language for websites to use. Although if your browser defaults to Dutch, that must mean the browser itself is Dutch..? Actually, I found out about this because I have the reverse situation; I prefer an English browser, but I would still prefer a website to use Dutch if available :)

The browser is Dutch, the preferred lingo English, but.. instead of going through the trouble of clicking on a flag, I had to go into prefs again to delete the darn cookie that has my Dutch lingo setting saved.. That's about 5 clicks instead of 1 clicking a flag.

Poor textilebbs ... we are babbling and he gets no answer.
redhair like no other.

subMerged3 for phpBB3 BETA?

th23

Post by th23 »

Eelke wrote: Er... just to clearify...

Okay... sorry, then I got the wrong impression of what you were writing...

:mrgreen:

textilebbs

Post by textilebbs »

how can let the GUEST choose the language?It is import for them to use the another languge forum before regesiter
th23 wrote:
Eelke wrote: Instead, I would just have clicked the little Dutch flag everytime I came to the site, and be annoyed for a few seconds every time I came to the site :)

As far as I've it in mind it's purely a fall back option to look at the browser set language...if you've choosen one via your UCP phpBB uses that language once you're logged in... Please correct me if I'm wrong

Let the guest choose language.It will help the guest to register and loggin . It's hard that a american to register an usename
on a chinese language PHPBB forum before he can choose language even though I have installed both English and Chinese.

Eelke

Re: Language auto choose,----->Let the guest choose language.

Post by Eelke »

For guests, it would definitely make sense to use the browser language setting. Have you tested with that? Not sure if phpBB uses it. If not, it would qualify as a feature request, so you'd have to wait until the feature tracker re-opens (which may be a long time).

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Parsing HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE is certainly possible...
http_language_accept.png
phpBB.com's Languages page
(241.24 KiB) Downloaded 4183 times
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well, sure it's possible. But is Olympus doing it right now?