Language auto choose,----->Let the guest choose language.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
textilebbs

Language auto choose,----->Let the guest choose language.

Post by textilebbs »

Do PHPBB3 have this features?

If the guest's explore language is English,the BBS default language will be

English.
Last edited by textilebbs on Wed May 16, 2007 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

th23

Re: Language auto choose,

Post by th23 »

When I looked in that part of the code last time... this auto choose was a fall back option (when user has not specified any language it checks if an installed lang pack matches the browser setting)

Cheers
th23

textilebbs

Post by textilebbs »

th23 wrote: When I looked in that part of the code last time... this auto choose was a fall back option (when user has not specified any language it checks if an installed lang pack matches the browser setting)

Cheers
th23

It is great!Could you tell me which file include this feature?

I'm very interested in this!

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

th23 wrote: When I looked in that part of the code last time... this auto choose was a fall back option (when user has not specified any language it checks if an installed lang pack matches the browser setting)

Cheers
th23

well, my browser is english, and i am dutch. most people dont bother to set their browser language.

although the idea is nice, it probably wont work. ( i am one of those persons, who is either to lazy to tweak their browser, or simply dont give :), i for one am both )

.vash

Post by .vash »

Uchiha Nick wrote: well, my browser is english, and i am dutch. most people dont bother to set their browser language.

though I agree with you that a lot of people might not care, I remember there are still people which do not speak english fluently and love to use programs/websites which offer their native language. Especially when they are unexperienced in using computers, such a feature might be the key to keep a visitor on your board/site.

Of course there will not be a lot of users who care about, because there are few multilingual boards (at least I don't know any). Nevertheless this is one little detail which might become important when comparing bulletin boards in a special situaiton.
there are 10 types of different people ... those who understand binaries and those who don't

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I think it's not so much about people not caring, but much more about not knowing about the option to select a preferred language in a browser. I myself didn't know about it until I very recently implemented a multi-lingual site in Joomla and didn't quite understand why I would consistently get to the English version of the site upon first visit of the site, eventhough I had selected Dutch to be the "default" language in the backend of the site. I have the English version of Firefox (somehow I don't like my computer trying to speak Dutch to me, with somethimes very crude translations), and a friend, who I knew was using the Dutch version of Firefox, telling me she did get Dutch right away, put me on the right track.

So, I suppose that this is really just an issue for freaks like me who like their browser in English, but want to see their native language when visiting a website, when available. Looks like Uchiha Chick is the same kind of freak ;), and I think we have a lot more of them here in Holland.

th23

Post by th23 »

Hey, should be no problem for you either... Use the English Firefox version and put the preferred language setting (in the browser) to Dutch (or what ever language is preferred) :D

Cheers
th23

textilebbs

Post by textilebbs »

I want to set up a BBS for the people in our city.Most of them speak Chinese,But some of

them speak English.and some of them speak both.

If Language can auto choose,it will help them to register and communion with other person

which can speak English either.

actally ,It will be TOP 1 forum in our city.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

th23 wrote: Hey, should be no problem for you either... Use the English Firefox version and put the preferred language setting (in the browser) to Dutch (or what ever language is preferred) :D

I know it can be done, since I have ;) It was just that I never knew about the option until I slammed into it face first :) Had I been a little less knowledgeable on Internet and web browsing, I might not have realised this was actually a setting I could manipulate myself. Instead, I would just have clicked the little Dutch flag everytime I came to the site, and be annoyed for a few seconds every time I came to the site :)

redhair

Post by redhair »

Coppermine photo gallery, another great open source project has that feature where it looks at the browser lingo, and then switches to that.

Funny thing is, I hate it since I want it all in English .. even though I'm Dutchy as well :)
Imagine my hell...
redhair like no other.

subMerged3 for phpBB3 BETA?