Bots

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
LiamMcilveen

Bots

Post by LiamMcilveen »

I cant seem to find any info on bots, can someone either point me to a post or give me a quick rundown of the purpose of the bots, and how to run one.

harmlessgoat22

Re: Bots

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

Bots are things that go on your site and look through it. Search engines use Bots to index pages, but that is not the only kind of Bot.
alphaPORTAL
phpBB3 Integration MOD:
Create Pages in phpBB3
Portal
Many Modules including Login, Welcome, Search, Top Posters, Online Now, Menu, Offsite Links, and more

LiamMcilveen

Post by LiamMcilveen »

Ok thankyou, and how do make it operate, or does it do it automatically.

harmlessgoat22

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

You have to submit your website to google, yahoo, etc. search engines and then after about a month or less they will send a Bot to your site to review it. After that, they will periodically come back to check for new content and such.
alphaPORTAL
phpBB3 Integration MOD:
Create Pages in phpBB3
Portal
Many Modules including Login, Welcome, Search, Top Posters, Online Now, Menu, Offsite Links, and more

LiamMcilveen

Post by LiamMcilveen »

Ok thankyou, and how do make it operate, or does it do it automatically.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

The Bots system in phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" recognises a bot in it's list and presents them with only the data they need to see, such as the posts, but not that which they don't, such as the posting/reply page.

It is possible to add new bots, however upon the release of phpBB 3.0 we have been told that all major search engine bots will have already been preconfigured into the database, so it shouldn't really be necessary.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

LiamMcilveen

Post by LiamMcilveen »

ok chears guys :)
LiamMcilveen

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Lastof wrote: The Bots system in phpBB 3.0 "Olympus" recognises a bot in it's list and presents them with only the data they need to see, such as the posts, but not that which they don't, such as the posting/reply page.

Not to mention that:
- bots tend to open up a whole bunch of sessions, which without bot support looks like you have a whole bunch of guest users (as is the case with phpBB 2).
- with bot detection, it's possible to not give a bot a session ID in its URL (would happen if they were a regular user), which would result in the search engine thinking there are a seemingly limitless number of URLs to the same page (which wil get the page penalized).

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Re: Bots tend to open a lot of sessions.
Yes, very much so.

MSNbot and Googlebot were the worst, followed closely by the ever present Gigabot.
The problem I found was that phpBB3 did not come installed with a correct list of (5) bots, 3 of which are outdated.
So thanks to Meik, I was able to add some 100+ bots to my forum, and it brought the sessions down quite a bit.

HebRew

Post by HebRew »

I suppose to create bots? create MSNBot and etc.