New CAPTCHA

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: New CAPTCHA

Post by Highway of Life »

DavidMJ wrote: Highway of Life: If you don't want to use the CAPTCHA, disable it. Last time I checked, it is currently disabled by default. I don't think you really understand the implications outside of mere spam, it is also a security issue. I also can't trust what this guy says if he can't beat some of the really simple CAPTCHAs that are very easy to break.
Right. I understand. Perhaps that site was really old???
Anyways, not a big deal.

As I've read this thread, it seems like everything anybody has come up with that is human readable, someone else has found a way to break it using a computer.
So now I wonder, is it even possible to create a CAPTCHA that is not computer readable, but that we can still read, and that a person with disabilites won't have any trouble registering on your board?

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

100% readability and perfect protection from computers is not possible and will most likely never be possible.
Freedom from fear

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Amen to that!
Dennis Robinson

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

DavidMJ wrote: Highway of Life: If you don't want to use the CAPTCHA, disable it. Last time I checked, it is currently disabled by default. I don't think you really understand the implications outside of mere spam, it is also a security issue. I also can't trust what this guy says if he can't beat some of the really simple CAPTCHAs that are very easy to break.
It's enabled by default now.

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

The last CAPTCHAs to be included with Olympus have recently (now) been committed. The problem is, we now have too many. As easy as it would be for myself to remove a policy, I want to avoid letting my personal bias interfere with what is best with the product. I would like feedback on two CAPTCHAs, one that you feel is the most unreadable for a human and one that is most beatable for a computer. Please explain your reasoning as to why.
Freedom from fear

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

Lieutenant Clone wrote: and as for the angles lining up when the letters are moved up and down, you could just rotate them a bit aswell. :P
It still has the inherent flaw that your giving it a whole pile of text which says the same thing. A bot can piece together all the complete letters in the image to remove the incomplete letters and then use them to mask out the crap.
Small variations wont to a thing.

LEW21

Post by LEW21 »

DavidMJ wrote: The problem is, we now have too many.
I think that there should be a lot of different captchas - if there is only one type of captcha then bot must only know to decipher 1 type, and if there is 10 types, then bot must decipher them all (if it will can decipher only one of them, then chance to register will be 10 times smaller)
phpBB3.pl - user-friendly Polish phpBB3 support

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

I agree that they all should stay. Then not only does a bot need to be able to decode more than one, but it needs to be able to recognise which one it is working on. I personally think that they should all have the same height and width, unlike the different sizes for each captcha now, so that the bots don't have an easy time detecting which is which.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ya, more = better. :P

I see they fixed my "bug" ;)
Log Message:
- We are now at _seven_ different policies, not counting the non-GD version. We must remove something...
- Made the CAPTCHA system idiot proof, disabling all the policies still lets an image get created.
- We handle the case of a user having GD but no TTF. Thankfully, we have CAPTCHAs that don't need TTF!
- Fixed that stupid language string...- Renamed Occlude to Overlap- Shape is now only enabled if TTF support is detected

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Your "bug" was fixed as a side effect of fixing a more serious problem. I decided that I might as well idiot proof the system.

Personally, I would like to keep all the policies. However, there is a real problem of code management. The GD code alone is close to three thousand lines. It is easily one of the largest pieces of code in phpBB. Too much code may make it hard to manage.
Freedom from fear