Fast reply!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Aven

Re: Fast reply!

Post by Aven »

APTX wrote:
Aven wrote: that didn't quite answer my question.
You're welcome. Don't mention it.
<3

cucthitcucmo

Post by cucthitcucmo »

sorry if i bother you by my question, because i'm such a newbie :?
can you explain me why we shouldn't have fast reply plugin in phpBB forum ?

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

cucthitcucmo wrote:sorry if i bother you by my question, because i'm such a newbie :?
can you explain me why we shouldn't have fast reply plugin in phpBB forum ?
There is nothing wrong about using a quick/fast reply plugin in phpBB, but the developpers don't want to add it in the core code.

cucthitcucmo

Post by cucthitcucmo »

so why don't the developers wanna add it in phpBB, while it's very necessary and will bring users many convenience ?
anyway, do you know how can I add it ?

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

so why don't the developers wanna add it in phpBB, while it's very necessary
It not necessary, and they will not add it by default because it gives things a "chat" feel, phpBB is not a chat software it is a message board and as such they feel it is in not in the spirit of what phpBB is about to add such a function :)

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

I kinda disagree, I think you got to understand that phpBB is not just used by developers (or people who are techies). For example, most of the users on my forum come from countries where they are still using 56.6kb modems (with downloading speeds of 4-5 kb), having to open a page to reply, is a bit time consuming :) And people can still chat by using the post page.

Its just a thought and I ain't flaming anyone, and I do run a quick reply mod on my board.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Prince of area51 wrote:I kinda disagree, I think you got to understand that phpBB is not just used by developers (or people who are techies). For example, most of the users on my forum come from countries where they are still using 56.6kb modems (with downloading speeds of 4-5 kb), having to open a page to reply, is a bit time consuming :) And people can still chat by using the post page.

Its just a thought and I ain't flaming anyone, and I do run a quick reply mod on my board.

Then you take advantage of one of the many quick reply mods which are about, the phpBB Devs can not cater for everyone feature wise without making the software extremely bloated and slow, thus they pick certain features for release, but other features are easily added through mods :)

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

Prince of area51 wrote:I kinda disagree, I think you got to understand that phpBB is not just used by developers (or people who are techies). For example, most of the users on my forum come from countries where they are still using 56.6kb modems (with downloading speeds of 4-5 kb),
Here, here, i am such a person. ;) Where i live there are no higher speeds available, i am on ISDN.

code reader

OT (at least a tangent): phpbb3, prosilver/subsilver perform

Post by code reader »

Acyd Burn wrote:Here, here, i am such a person. ;) Where i live there are no higher speeds available, i am on ISDN.
you might want to try (just for kicks) subsilver2 on this board.
you may find that with subsilver, the board is significantly snappier.

i don't know if anything can be done to improve prosilver performance, but i think it's worth a try. switching between these 2 styles and looking for any difference in performance might be a good first step. (to get a true feel, though, one wants to clear the browser cache before using the board).

Acyd Burn

Re: OT (at least a tangent): phpbb3, prosilver/subsilver perform

Post by Acyd Burn »

code reader wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote:Here, here, i am such a person. ;) Where i live there are no higher speeds available, i am on ISDN.
you might want to try (just for kicks) subsilver2 on this board.
you may find that with subsilver, the board is significantly snappier.
Of course subsilver2 is a lot faster - due to the extensive usage of CSS in prosilver. :) The data is a lot larger for prosilver, ~64KiB of CSS alone, not to mention the amount of images.