AJAX support?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Hosting Geek

Re: AJAX support?

Post by Hosting Geek »

Wert wrote:
Hosting Geek wrote: Lets make a petition... its a must have feature...
To you perhaps, but not to everyone. Even though I think it's nice, I would be quite happy without it or having it as a mod.
Look you twisted my words you cut out the rest of the line. If you read the part you quoted I would sound like a troll, but if you read what all I said, you would understand I meant if its not going to take that much extra time then it should be done now...

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Hosting Geek wrote:
Wert wrote:
Hosting Geek wrote: Lets make a petition... its a must have feature...
To you perhaps, but not to everyone. Even though I think it's nice, I would be quite happy without it or having it as a mod.
Look you twisted my words you cut out the rest of the line. If you read the part you quoted I would sound like a troll, but if you read what all I said, you would understand I meant if its not going to take that much extra time then it should be done now...
That still wouldn't make it "must have". It would be useful to some people, but others might not like it. whether it is a must have for the majority of the community, is for the devs to decide. No petition will change their minds. Also, people are constantly fearful of slowing phpBB down with an excess of features, like has been done to IPB.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

SamG

Post by SamG »

I imagine that a decision to go with AJAX would target admins with the skills and the MOD community. To everybody else, AJAX would be more or less transparent, I think.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I do think that AJAX should in in 3.0, but if it isn't I have many ideas for mods to make with it (previous requests, submit post without reloading (like GMail sends messages and shows a little bar at the top of the screen) and a few other neat ideas). If it's not in 3.0, I'll attempt to make the mods for it.

Wert

Post by Wert »

It's pretty hard to twist the term "Must have". Either it is or it isn't.

For me (and I'm guessing the vast majority of folks out there), I'm thinking "isn't".
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

I definitely agree: it's not a must have at all. It would be nice to have it, but it's not something that would make me say "yes, I'm using that forum because it has some AJAX features". ;)

Greetz
alcaeus

CoreIssue

Post by CoreIssue »

On this one I am leaving it to the developers. I see the function to an extent and the issues described pro and con.

Just one question on one concern that may not be a concern at all.

I have users who are not the best on computer functionality and some have old computers with such as 98 or 98SE on them.

Does that have any impact at all on this?

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Having made some stuff last night, I can tell you: no, it doesn't matter.
AJAX is not a replacement of forum functions, but an addition to them. So let's say instead of having to click on "Search" on the "search username" page, you just exit the input field, and it immediately returns you the search results. Now, if you have JS disabled, or ActiveX disabled (AJAX works only over ActiveX in IE), or if your browser doesn't support it (Apple implemented the necessary JS object not earlier than Safari 1.2), it doesn't matter: you'll still have the search button. But if you have it enabled, you'll find that it's kinda helpful. That example may not be the very best, but I'm keeping the others to myself ;)

Greetz
alcaeus

CoreIssue

Post by CoreIssue »

Thanks! Appreciate the answer. :mrgreen:

markus_petrux

Post by markus_petrux »

Sorry, I can't see what is so special with AJAX? As far as I can see, the same goal can be, more or less, done with an IFrame to perform the requests to the server, process the responses and using innerHTML (supported by almost all browsers these days) or whatever to update the page on the browser. This would work on most browsers than those that support AJAX today, I believe.

What else can AJAX do? ..or is it just something to try to normalize the method to make the client-server dialog more dynamic?