AJAX support?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
_Kilian_

Re: AJAX support?

Post by _Kilian_ »

Maybe it's a stupid question but i have never heard from that AJAX techonologie you are refering to. Can someone please point me in te right direction for some explanation about what it does ?!?

Tullamore

Post by Tullamore »

Hosting Geek

Post by Hosting Geek »

Oooh its so cool... I sign the petition.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Well, I have thought about making something for the good old 2.0: When you write a new topic and exit the title field, it automatically searches for the words in your title. If it finds something, it could display a yellow bar below the title field, saying that there are like 10 search results or whatever.
Additionally, I have seen another method of using it: on the register page it told you if the username was taken once you entered a name and exited the username field.

In vB 3.5 Beta for example, it is used for many moderation features. That allows you to edit a topic title directly by doubleclicking the row on their viewforum page, or to edit a post directly on the viewing page. It's nice stuff, even though some goes too far (for example marking posts in more than one topic and then deleting it, you kinda have to be careful with that one).

Greetz
alcaeus

_Kilian_

Post by _Kilian_ »

thank you for the information...

I think it could be a good thing for futher versions, but i has to be implemented on the right way. Otherwise it would have any effect ;)

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

_Kilian_ wrote: I think it could be a good thing for futher versions, but i has to be implemented on the right way.
It is a good feature if it's implemented the right way.
The AJAX features they implemented in vB are rather cool, but there's one that is taking the issue a bit too far. For example, I can select a number of topics in the forum view, not just in the ModCP. Now I go into another forum, and again, I can select another set of topics. However, the topics I previously selected are still selected, meaning that if I'm not careful enough to check the number listed in the "Go"-button, I accidentally could delete/lock/move some topics that were selected in another forum. That is - IMO - not too good as you may be able to imagine ;)

Greetz
alcaeus

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

iiuc, the last 4-5 posts are mixing "features" with "technologies".
ajax is, if i understand correctly, a technology.
what vb, or anyone else actually does with it is "features".
many (most?) features can be implementing by way of more than one technology.
many (all?) technologies can be utilized to implement more than one specific feature.

just my 2c.

Hosting Geek

Post by Hosting Geek »

Lets make a petition... its a must have feature... and to make it not to push the release date back that much maybe you could make it into a mod for 3.0 and make it offically part of 3.2

Wert

Post by Wert »

Hosting Geek wrote: Lets make a petition... its a must have feature...
To you perhaps, but not to everyone. Even though I think it's nice, I would be quite happy without it or having it as a mod.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Wert wrote:
Hosting Geek wrote: Lets make a petition... its a must have feature...
To you perhaps, but not to everyone.
I fully agree. AJAX was announced as THE technology that would make the web more comfortable, but many features implemented in vB are for administrators/moderators only. However, autocompleting a username for the PM recipient is a cool thing ;)
So I think if the coders decide to implement some AJAX feature, a lot of thinking needs to be done, which would justify the workload needed.
Well, I got all the information I needed, thanks everybody. And now coders, go work on that JS :P ;)

Greetz
alcaeus