AJAX support?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
§nake

Re: AJAX support?

Post by §nake »

OMG, I love AJAX, it's so useful, I hate when they go overboard though, IPB and vB practically changed from php forums into AJAx forums (not quite possible, but you understand right?)

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Yes, I know what you mean, at least when it comes to vB. Haven't tested IPB, but vB 3.5 definitely contains too much of that stuff, it's almost hard not to screw things up because of it (see the moderating example I made earlier in this thread).

Greetz
alcaeus

Resublimation

Post by Resublimation »

I'd like to see smoother functionality in features like search and adding posts and replies, and AJAX looks fit to do that but I'd recommend being slightly more pragmatic than just "Yes! I must have it!".
AJAX has a large basis in JavaScript which isn't an open standard. Also, there are differences in the XMLHttpRequest dynamics across the browsers (which might become more noticable when more complex features are added). Although the theory is fantastic, and the idea works a treat, it might be a little wiser to wait on this one until the W3C's recommendation of Level 3 Save and Load takes ground in web browsers as a more standards compliant way of achieving the same functionality. (It would be bad for phpBB's development to code support for AJAX as it is now, and then later, have to change it for the more standards-compliant way of doing things).

-- But then again, I'm no programmer, I'm just a web-designer so chime up if you think differently.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Resublimation wrote: Also, there are differences in the XMLHttpRequest dynamics across the browsers (which might become more noticable when more complex features are added).
Actually, I haven't found any. The only thing to look out for is to proper encode special characters, when sending they have to be encoded by using encode(), and the result has to be encoded in UTF8. If you miss the first, FireFox doesn't send the request, if you forget about the second one, Internet Explorer doesn't accept it as a valid XML file.
Either way, I've made one JavaScript, and I had it working right away in IE, FF, Opera, Netscape and Safari. I think that should be good enough for starters ;)

Greetz
alcaeus