For Olympus! -livejournal

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
newest

For Olympus! -livejournal

Post by newest »

Hi .. i heard about new version phpbb that u a going to present..

Its great that u want to make this product more powerful.. and i want to help u ))

as i think it will be really cool to have some features from livejournal in Olimpus..

such features - i mean - "same" system.. after this - Olimpus could be realy OLIMPUS!!

however.. u a great ... thanx

DeadEye686

Re: For Olympus! -livejournal

Post by DeadEye686 »

LiveJournal is a blogging website. phpBB is a forum. They are two entirely different animals, and should remain as such.

Magnotta

Post by Magnotta »

It's phpBB, the BB standing for Bulletin Board, therefore this is to be forum software. This isn't phpBBlogger

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Oh, but a blog is a bulletin board. ;)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

A blog is not a bulletin board ... a blog may offer a feedback capability but it's not a bulletin board.

blobber

Post by blobber »

newest wrote: Hi .. i heard about new version phpbb that u a going to present..

Its great that u want to make this product more powerful.. and i want to help u ))

as i think it will be really cool to have some features from livejournal in Olimpus..

such features - i mean - "same" system.. after this - Olimpus could be realy OLIMPUS!!

however.. u a great ... thanx
LOL, I guess the thread title should have said
For Olympus != livejournal

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

:roll: You think if you change the text on the button from "Post Reply" to "Post Comment" and change "Topic" to "Article" it becomes a different animal? All it is is a different template. I've used phpBB as a blog. Set the permissions such that only bloggers can post new topics and everyone else can only reply, fiddle with the template, and viola it's a blog.

I don't know what sort of features of LiveJournal would be useful in phpBB though. I mean, I looked at the features and there isn't anything that phpBB can't already do.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I don't agree. A blog usually shows the text or at least the first part of the text of its "topics" on a single page, where your forum-blog would only show topic titles. Also, you'd have to change the ordering of topics by time of the first post, not by that of the last.

Although a blog could be "bolted on" fairly easily (in fact, it might even be a single PHP script that does the above things), it's not something phpBB will do with just template work.

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

Eelke wrote: I don't agree. A blog usually shows the text or at least the first part of the text of its "topics" on a single page, where your forum-blog would only show topic titles. Also, you'd have to change the ordering of topics by time of the first post, not by that of the last.
without getting into the religious argument of what makes something a bbs vs. blog, the 2 things you cited are laghably easy to accomplish, and methinks it should still be considered "templating". (time reordering asc/desc is something that exists in phpbb 2, and of course in 3. all it takes is changing the default...hardly groundbreaking)

grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

Well....linear and abstract thinkers aren't going to agree on much. AFAIK a bulletin board is something people post messages to allowing others to read them. I mean, that's the big picture. The PMs, the smilies, ordering, text formatting, etc. (even registration) are just details and are optional. If we were having this discussion 10 years ago I would be saying that guestbooks and bulletin boards are essentially the same too. 8O But I think you have to be old enough to have used those completely flat cgi boards with some frequency to make that connection. It's all in how you use it.

I'm not saying that all bulletin boards are blogs or can be blogs, but surely all blogs are bulletin boards...a different type of bulletin board with a specific kind of presentation and purpose...but a bulletin board none-the-less.