For Olympus! -livejournal

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DavidMJ

Re: For Olympus! -livejournal

Post by DavidMJ »

darkain wrote: One feature from LiveJournal I personally would LOVE to see implemented (getting back on topic for a second) is the OpenID user authentication system. One current problem with having dozens of web sites on the web, each with their own individual installation of phpBB, is that you have to go and sign up on ALL of them, and this is annoying and time consuming. Using OpenID, we could create a centralized database of user logins that would be applicable to ALL installations of phpBB accross the web, as well as allowing users from Blogs such as LiveJournal log in and post comments.
phpBB3's architecture supports this, go write an auth module for it.
Freedom from fear

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

This would be something that would benefit tremendously from being there out of the box, though... If it was an opt-in kind of thing, there would certainly be a lot less installations using this OpenID than if it were an opt-out kind of thing (or at least a "turn it on at the click of a button" instead of "have to download some extra stuff for that").

Anyway, no feature requests... :roll:

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Eelke wrote: This would be something that would benefit tremendously from being there out of the box, though... If it was an opt-in kind of thing, there would certainly be a lot less installations using this OpenID than if it were an opt-out kind of thing (or at least a "turn it on at the click of a button" instead of "have to download some extra stuff for that").

Anyway, no feature requests... :roll:
You can sign-up for the community projects thing, that would let you dev an auth system and you could write an auth module for it, if it ment that much to you.
Freedom from fear

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

I unfortunately don't have the time to take on one of the community projects. Anyway, let's not turn this into my thing, because its not. I just saw some advantages to the principle, and also that it should be extremely hassle free to get it up and running on a live board, because otherwise it probably wouldn't gain enough momentum to be worthwhile.

[Just got treated to a box stating "At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post inlight of this" when hitting post for my second go at this post. The "new" post actually happened to me my own post which I failed to delete, but bottom line: I like it!]

damnian

OpenID

Post by damnian »

Eelke, if you're still up to this, I'm developing a system which fully integrates OpenID into phpBB. You may have a look at it here.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

that.. would suck. aside from taken usernames, let's focus on some other problems:

who is going to run the gigantic database?
who says I would want all those users on my forum?
a forum specialized in cars doesn't want any script-only members

that's not a decision for anyone to make. if you want that, you could link a bunch of friend-forums together through multiple databases ( db1 for members/pms, db1 for forums on forum1, db2 for forums on forum2 etc. etc. )

damnian

Post by damnian »

Uchiha Nick, next time you reply, please read at least the subject line of the last post.

We are talking about OpenID here, not about LiveJournal. It's about the whole web, not just LiveJournal users.

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

Well, a blog has one major difference over a bulletin board.

In a blog, you post your thoughts, although users/viewers are able to comment on them. But, the intense of a bulletin board is discussion! Although you can still publish your thoughts and others comment on them, the purpose of a BB system is pure discussion.

Many users want something extraordinary - that is not meant for a bulletin board - but imagine that: If the phpBB group implemented every user's request, today, we would be having a forum system which would also function as a chat script; an online banking system; a blog; an image gallery; a domain registrar; a... hacking tool(!); a web-host control panel; a flash games site. Completely different software, which in fact none of them has something in common with a bulletin board. Some users want these possibilities though.

I believe that even if this was a major request, phpBB should be left a pure forum software; extra functionality can be added with MODs/plug-ins.

Why should I have to suffer from a huge -bandwidth consuming- software overloading the server's CPU and limiting my databases' free space, while I would be using only 1% of it's features?

damnian

Post by damnian »

Spiros- wrote: Well, a blog has one major difference over a bulletin board.

Indeed. In a blog the site admin is the only member who has permission to start new topics. I believe this functionality is built into phpBB 2.0.
Why should I have to suffer from a huge -bandwidth consuming- software overloading the server's CPU and limiting my databases' free space, while I would be using only 1% of it's features?

You really shouldn't. I don't see why anybody would use vBulletin ;)

Somebody, please lock this!