Syndication aspects of Olympus ...

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Hosting Geek

Re: Syndication aspects of Olympus ...

Post by Hosting Geek »

Magnotta wrote: I'm glad that phpBB is just a forum. If phpBB came with all these other things, it would soon be a 'website in a box', at which point there would be a lot of websites that all look the same, which I would find boring. It's nice to be able to have a unique site or something where the forum is just a small part of it, and the forum can easily be skinned to match the rest of your site. As well, there was once a phpBB portal project. Who knows, one day the team might resume development on it. They've never really said that they'll never go back and finish it, just pretty much that for now its been put aside for an indefinite amount of time(which of course could mean never).

Lastly, with bringing up their slogan of 'creating communities', keep in mind their name as well: phpBB, which is php Bulletin Board. In other words, they make bulletin board software, not full websites.
Blog != website in box.

There is the blog mod, so there is not that much to worry about.

alcaeus

Post by alcaeus »

Um, why do people want phpBB to be a CMS for now? Just because it would be comfortable to have it as your own page, easily manging the page? Well, I don't see any other reason than that. phpBB works great as a forum system, but a stock phpBB also being a CMS, no, that wouldn't end good. If that's needed, download some huge MOD or write it yourself; I mean that's what we programmers do, isn't it? ;)

Greetz
alcaeus

Spacehog

Post by Spacehog »

there was already a CMS bridge inplace
which was a mod for PHPBB and a plugin/module for other cmses
and it allowed phpbb to be better integrated.. as of no i have yet to find ANYTHING that does what i want it to do so i have decided to create my own...if any one wants a copy when im done ill gladly hand it out but if you want it you prolly will need to make it your self. i feel phpBB should STAY just a form. it's a great platform because it's so modable and by having the phpbb dev team JUST work on the forums software it will remain the highest wuality software out there.

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

phpBB does not need a content management system.

Think of it several ways:
1. Building in a CMS would add complexity and potential vulnerabilities. While they can be avoided, it is plenty of work.
2. We already complain about how slow development is. Can you imagine how bad it would be if they had to develop a CMS and the forum?
3. Many people don't need a CMS. If it was to be included, but turned off in many installations, it would simply waste disk space.

These points all make me think that the best to do would be to make a CMS an external project. People could add it if they wanted it, and the phpBB developers wouldn't need to do any extra work. They could focus on their own product.

CoreIssue

Post by CoreIssue »

For the functionality of what my site does we keep phpBB strictly forum.

We are a discussion and debate forum. Users have nothing to announce. They discuss and debate.

Announcements are purely functional tools for administering that debate and discussion function.

We do not sell, develop or any such thing.

Links to addtional materials are for discussion purposes, not advertising. To us that is spam and immediately gets deleted.

Home page links belong in profiles on our kind of site. And spam there gets deleted.

We use a CMS with no forum on it for the main page. And only Admin add to it with one Admin assigned as the one who determines what goes on and how. Therein lies our downloads, special materials that are not debate, news and so on.

No way does any purely debate and discussion board want a CMS with the Forum part of it. The portal/cms portion renders the forum a secondary feature supporting the non forum materials.

I have zero problems with those who want phpBB as a forum on a CMS or Portal. And most I have seen will integrate it in very easily.

Nor do I have a problem with a phpCMS developed script.

But making the CMS or Portal part of the Forum will not work for us.

The way we have our forum customized and modded there is no way to present the forum as a center, left or right segment of the window. It just could not be presented properly.

Just don't need the extra components adjacent to the forums.

Not an issue or good or bad. But of purpose and functionality.

Spacehog

Post by Spacehog »

i really only use a few features from any given cms and IMO they are slow and bulky and *nuke just sux..so i decided to make a small hack that will do what i want because i cant find anything else