Complex permission system!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
warmweer

Re: Complex permission system!

Post by warmweer »

dhn wrote: IIRC one of our developers wrote a script that gives you an overview over the permission settings of a specific group or user. Don't hold your breath, but there might be a chance that this could be included in the package. If it isn't, there is always the chance for a MOD.
There as a time when I thought the permission system was complex and made something similar. I recall requesting some clarification (on this board)
about the permission settings, which was promptly given. After having played around with it a bit it all seemed so easy. It's just a question of getting used to it. I actually coded an overview of a user's permission (must have been a year ago now, never got the GUI right though) which (to me at least) seems a must have when using many group and individual permissions in combination with forum permission settings.
I hope such an overview will be included in de standard package (it would certainly help understand the system without having to go through a tedious trial and error procedure).
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Really hope so! I think this would help a lot of poeple..... and me :)

baumfarn

Post by baumfarn »

I think to, the current permission system is too complex.
I create a new forum or category and even the Administrator isn't able to see it without expliciting allowing it.
My guess: Administrators have to see everything everytime.
Most (??) admins have a 2nd or 3rd ID to check other apearnces for a lower permission level. There's no reason to hide something before the admin.

greetings
Peter

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

baumfarn wrote: I think to, the current permission system is too complex.
I create a new forum or category and even the Administrator isn't able to see it without expliciting allowing it.
My guess: Administrators have to see everything everytime.
Most (??) admins have a 2nd or 3rd ID to check other apearnces for a lower permission level. There's no reason to hide something before the admin.

greetings
Peter
The concept of "Administrator" from phpBB 2.0.x doesn't apply to Olympus.