New Karma System (Theory)

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Legacyblade

Re: New Karma System (Theory)

Post by Legacyblade »

Every day a member posts on a board. They should receive 1-3 karma (depending on the amount of posts, this should be changeable through the admin panel. Once a member gets a certain amount of Karma, they will advance in member level. Since many people use hacks, it should be able to hide specified links and lock certain pages from users that are too low to use them.

The admin giveth and the admin taketh away. Members will suffer karma loss if they break the site’s rules. Members should be able to report a violation of the rules (on any given message, profile, ect). The flagged object will be checked by a moderator as soon as one is available.

Flaging a message should he accessed by a link at the bottom of each message, and this will bring them to a page that has all of the available offences in a vertical list with radio buttons next to each (including an other, with a description field). You can only select one offence for the message (thou it can be reported multiple times for different offences). Users will be notified which of their messages is hurting their karma, and it will say WHY it is hurting their karma. They can appeal to the moderator that the message doesn't violate the rule (and explain). The moderator will review this plea, and respond by either replacing the ruling or will explain why they are wrong. The user can then appeal to another moderator (the computer will select a random regular modderator), and this modderator will have the same options. The user can take it further, and aply to the head modderator (which will be punished by further karma loss if the plea is flawed, a warning that will be posted below the "apeal to head modderator" button). If the head modderator disagrees, the user has the option to apeal to the admin. If the admin disagrees (which is probobly going to be the case) the admin has the option to either take a predeturmined large chunk of the user's karma, or suspend their account for a predeturminded number of days (or hours).

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

I do not think phpBB developers should add a karma feature. I see vB and SMF having that feature. I play around it and did find it useful. But I think this is one feature that will add to only bloating phpBB and is not necessarily needed. This should be a mod.
hmm....

Freelance

Post by Freelance »

phpBB3 allready has the warning system.
IMHO Karma should be a MOD.
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

I (speaking for me) would never place a karma system at users disposal because most forums having a karma system (or a phpBB2 karma mod) have problems with users only giving karma because of personal fondness of other users and not for "qualitative" postings or good support/help. :D
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

You would have to read the thread from the beginning to find the intricatenesses of the suggested systems. My idea was to have weighted threads that could be used to establish a baseline for P2P votes. If you consistently rated someone 5 stars over time your 5 stars for that persons post would be only equivalent to the average. There is more to it then just that but that would be/should be a major feature. Also this was always intended to be a mod.

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

MKruer wrote: You would have to read the thread from the beginning to find the intricatenesses of the suggested systems. My idea was to have weighted threads that could be used to establish a baseline for P2P votes. If you consistently rated someone 5 stars over time your 5 stars for that persons post would be only equivalent to the average. There is more to it then just that but that would be/should be a major feature. Also this was always intended to be a mod.

I like your idea .. and if I get some spare time I will probably make into a nice MOD for phpBB3 ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Well, as much as I've passed up Karma MODs, our members have been recently asking for a [ Thanks ] button...
Something to thank the person for their time / help.
So I'm working on a light version of this, just keeping track of "thanks" or "karma" points, Of course, I'm implementing anti-abuse features so that it does not get over used or abused.
Just something small and nice for those who take time out of their day to help others. :D

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

I did something like that on my board as well (though its not phpBB3), I took the [ Thanks ] MOD, changed it to [ Nice Post ] and made the looks as it is in vB. Works awesome, you should give it a try ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

I will... I'm working on it right now, I'm just wondering now, if it's a big deal if I put in abuse checks...
What gain would someone have for abusing it, I wonder...

Freelance

Post by Freelance »

Someone always does have a reason to abuse it, like just to have the most points
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]