post_checksum

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
phpBBInstaller

post_checksum

Post by phpBBInstaller »

What is the reason for the post_checksum field in the phpbb_posts table in Olympus?

Also, what file is the $auth class defined in?

Graham

Re: post_checksum

Post by Graham »

As the name suggests, it is a checksum for the post - it is used at certain points in the posting script to determine if the post has been changed and skip certain intensive things if it hasn't
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

phpBBInstaller

Post by phpBBInstaller »

What about the $auth class? Where is it defined?

KevKEv

Post by KevKEv »

[kcolby@wurm phpBB2]$ grep -r 'class auth' ./*
./includes/functions_admin.php: class auth_admin extends auth
./includes/session.php:class auth
[kcolby@wurm phpBB2]$

valval

Post by valval »

just test

Evito

Post by Evito »

Graham wrote: As the name suggests, it is a checksum for the post - it is used at certain points in the posting script to determine if the post has been changed and skip certain intensive things if it hasn't
Would you be so kind as to elaborate on this a little further?

What exactly can be skipped? What exactly needs to be done in the posting script with edited posts? Also how can a post be edited without the checksum having changed?

KevKEv

Post by KevKEv »

Updating a row is "expensive" checking a checksum of a message against one already in the table ( i.e. a select operation) is "cheap". So if somebody hit's submit on the edit post page when they haven;t in fact edited the text of the post this saves your database some processing.

At least that's my understanding.

Evito

Post by Evito »

KevKEv wrote: Updating a row is "expensive" checking a checksum of a message against one already in the table ( i.e. a select operation) is "cheap". So if somebody hit's submit on the edit post page when they haven;t in fact edited the text of the post this saves your database some processing.

so...this is only used when a user edits his post and clicks submit without changing anything? sounds pretty useless, because when does thát happen?

KevKEv

Post by KevKEv »

Evito wrote:
KevKEv wrote: Updating a row is "expensive" checking a checksum of a message against one already in the table ( i.e. a select operation) is "cheap". So if somebody hit's submit on the edit post page when they haven;t in fact edited the text of the post this saves your database some processing.

so...this is only used when a user edits his post and clicks submit without changing anything? sounds pretty useless, because when does thát happen?
Edit to change the topic, Mod edit to lock, add/remove poll options, change sticky/announce flags etc. there are times. and in those times it saves some processing power. Obviously it's enough to make it worth a small amount of effort