Chat

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
thedrumchannell

Chat

Post by thedrumchannell »

Will phpBB ever include a chat program with any future versions if not on 3.0?
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
Prophecy Talk - World News & Bible Prophecy Information
Graham

Re: Chat

Post by Graham »

Certainly not on 3.0 and unlikely on later versions as well - such a feature is not really part of a forum in any way.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
thedrumchannell

Ehh - just curious but thanks anyways. :)
"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

Thedrumchannell
grrrlromeo

Post by grrrlromeo »

You can use any pre-existing chat software and just send the phpbb username as the login.
I can't delete my signature.
lemontea

Post by lemontea »

Let me add a note that it depends on what level of features do you want. If all you need is a very simple chat in the board itself, I do remember there is a mod, called something like "a shoutbox"(the mod is for 2.0, you may have to wish the author quickily rewrite it after 3.0 is out) . If you want more features, however, a seperate piece of web chat software, that use php or other server side script, may prove more fit to your need(search in sourceforge may be? )

Of course, if what you're talking about is a instant messager, like irc, msn, or something similar, this is obviously out of reach, unfortunately.
Maturity is stereotypes to live well off in an environment. Genuine maturity is the realization of the limitation of the former maturity.
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

It seems silly to add Chat to a forum? Chat is a form of communication, as is a forum. Why don't you just make a Chat Forum? :)
Simulation Cricket Authority: http://www.simulationcricket.com
Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I think that he means something like at this site, if I'm not mistaken. (it's vBulletin Software, but it's VERY heavily modded, and has a chatbox on the top part.)

NOTE: Before clicking the link, I just want to tell you that the link is to a religious (christian) site, so if you are offended by the religion, please don't go there. I am just posting it as an example for a chat box!

Here is the link: [Removed]

To answer Battye's question:
Chat Boxes/Shout Boxes are faster than a forum when it comes to just chatting, because you can type and get *almost* instant answer. A forum takes time because of the flood limit, and it takes time to load the pages, and to type it... in all, it would be nice to have a chat/shout box just in case you wanted to tlak quickly with someone.
CLee

Post by CLee »

battye wrote: It seems silly to add Chat to a forum? Chat is a form of communication, as is a forum. Why don't you just make a Chat Forum? :)
If you want to chat with someone, why not use IRC or an IM client instead? A forum is a forum, not a chat client.
Carlos Myers
Member - Star Wars Roleplaying Club
thedrumchannell

I have also come to this conclusion myself and no longer wish to add a chat to my forum. It's just kind of cool to have a real time message system. Thanks

Brandon

Thedrumchannell
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

There is a mod on the main site called phpmychat.
It works great.
As for the chat program on a forum, it's a great place to get quick things done. Now it the forum is nothing more than a chat room, an external chat program wouldn't be needed.