What Is Bots ?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
renxu350

What Is Bots ?

Post by renxu350 »

What is Bots in the Legend ? Is that just moderator , no ?

Do I have to manually define a legend type like moderator in admin cpanel ?

If I wanna delete that user type of Bots, what could i do ?

by the way, who are "GoogleBot" and "MSNBot" ? It seems like an unreal person !

Can anybody answer those questions ? Please !

:?:
Last edited by renxu350 on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
DarkOMEN

Re: What Is Bots ?

Post by DarkOMEN »

They're bots, or "automated machines" that run around the internet indexing websites so they can list the sites under search engines and the like. Because they visit a site and read through lots of stuff, they can beat down on bandwidth pretty quickly. phpBB recognizes these users and doesn't show them images and stuff, which reduces the load on the webserver (as far as I understand it), because the bots aren't real users.

I hope that easy to follow and that it sorta helps.
renxu350

Post by renxu350 »

DarkOMEN wrote: They're bots, or "automated machines" that run around the internet indexing websites so they can list the sites under search engines and the like. Because they visit a site and read through lots of stuff, they can beat down on bandwidth pretty quickly. phpBB recognizes these users and doesn't show them images and stuff, which reduces the load on the webserver (as far as I understand it), because the bots aren't real users.

I hope that easy to follow and that it sorta helps.
Thanx for the reply !
But, Gosh, is their a way to "permanently block/ban the bot" since they beat down on bandwidth pretty quickly ?

Or No ? there isn't a way to block it ?
DarkOMEN

Post by DarkOMEN »

I would think you could, but I could be wrong. I think it would entail as little as banning the IP (or IP range) of the bot in question.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Or alternatively you can just not allow the "bots" usergroup to access any of the forums.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!
MouseAT

Post by MouseAT »

You can add a robots.txt file to your root web directory. Robots.txt allows you to define restrictions on bot activity for your entire site, or specific parts of it.

Just google for "robots.txt".
ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

but if you're going to use a robots.txt file, you have to keep in mind that not all bots respect them...so you'd be better off going with Graham's suggestion..much easier, and it's simple to do in the ACP.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Having to ban IP-ranges for individual bots is something I'd put that under the heading "Last resorts". The robotos.txt is one that is going to keep a lot of bots away already.
Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Watch out for things like Cyveillance, which use existing agent strings in their robots. For those, you have to ban specific IP address ranges.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.
-jm-

Post by -jm- »

could anyone explain me how they were able to get pm?

Thanks.