phpBB 2.2, top features

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Yoda_IRC

Re: phpBB 2.2, top features

Post by Yoda_IRC »

I have to say i like the new User Control Panel quite alot.

Its a much better way to layout options than the old one. I like the extra option in it too.

And the fact it remembers which forums you haven't view after you logout is excellent, no longer will i miss an unread thread because i have to logout.

I am sure there are loads more excellent stuff but i can't think of anything else right now lol :D

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the finished version so i can play with all the admin features. (I know i could use the CVS but is development and i haven't got the time to make it secure and perform all the changes required, plus it would kinda ruin the suprose :D)

mich181189

Post by mich181189 »

err, wel... um, don't change it, if you're just using it to have a look at it, (which is all it is intended for) then you don't need to make it secure.

mich181189

Post by mich181189 »

err, wel... um, don't change it, if you're just using it to have a look at it, (which is all it is intended for) then you don't need to make it secure.

camaran

Post by camaran »

Quick reply

Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Right, I just installed a PHPBB3 CVS snapshot and I have to say I am rather excited. Things I like so far include (in no particular order)...

* Mod and Admin logging.
* More forum specific settings than I can shake a stick at.
* Still free (as in freedom).
* Different styles for sub forums or sub sections
* sub forums of forums.
* Customisable user fields (Oh!)
* Report posts to mods
* Improved IP/post tracking

.... it might actually be quicker just to copy and paste the changelog.

Attachments, friends/foes etc... are nice to see, but not really something I *need*. Karma would be "nice", perhaps it would do if you could see how many people had you on their friends/foes list?
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Something that I realized yesterday is that, with the new features, no deletion of posts will be necessary in most cases because of the feedback and post locking features. Here's how this will probably work for me.
  1. User A posts something offensive
  2. User B reports it to moderators via reporting system (this is optional)
  3. Moderator sees offensive post
  4. Moderator edits post, copying offensive content and replacing it with bracketed note, such as "[This portion of the post removed for rules violation]"
  5. Moderator pastes original text into feedback section in the MCP and submits
  6. Moderator locks post
With this sequence available, I will almost certainly set permissions any of my staff (myself included) to actually delete posts. This way, we have the original text wherever it was deleted, in case protests come about.

Entire threads that are problematic will continue to be moved off to a hidden forum.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Billy Kincaid

Post by Billy Kincaid »

JPortal wrote:
  • you can finally see the topic name when you're replying to a topic :mrgreen:
YEEEES!!! © The Brain

sacha

Post by sacha »

Hi,

my most important features:

* well documented API
* separation of layout and code to make accessible forums easy
* easy integration into TYPO3

Ciao,
Sacha
".. This golden age of communication, means everyone talks at the same time.." -Justin Sullivan-

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj »

sacha wrote: Hi,

my most important features:

[snip]

Ciao,
Sacha
as it has been said before: the entire point of this thread is to list which current phpBB 2.1.x features you enjoy the most, rather than list the ones you want.
NO PM or IM support offered!!
thank you!

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

I've seen it for a while now, but I only just really noticed it. I like how the usernames on the posts and the last post information thing are colored the same as in viewonline and also on the members list. That makes it easier to classify people!

-Aldenhier