Multiple questions in a poll

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Joe Belmaati

Multiple questions in a poll

Post by Joe Belmaati »

A gentle request for the ability to have multiple questions with multiple options in a poll. For instance:

1. What is your screen resolution?
op a 800x600
op b 1024x768
op c 1400x1050

2. Which browser are you using?
op a Explorer
op b Mozilla
op c Opera

etc etc...

thank you.

Joe Belmaati
Copenhagen Denmark

Roberdin

Re: Multiple questions in a poll

Post by Roberdin »

Feature Reqiests go in the Sourceforge Tracker. link on the index.
Rob

SamG

Post by SamG »

I would be interested in hearing about the advantages of a "multiple poll" poll. To me it sounds like this type of thing is more of a survey than a poll, in which case it might be good to request a survey feature and keep the two separate.

Just a thought.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Indeed, "survey" was exactly the word I used when I closed a couple of previous submissions of this to the request tracker :) I'm afraid it goes beyond a basic forum IMO ... nice addition ... but then that's just the point, it would make a nice Mod.

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Well I think in some cases this 'survey' style could be considered a poll.
For example if you were electing moderators for a forum from a number of canditates you may form a poll as follows:
Would you choose Moderator A?
o Yes
o No
o Abstain
Would you choose Moderator B?
o Yes
o No
o Abstain
Would you choose Moderator C?
o Yes
o No
o Abstain
And so on, I would still call that a poll as you can then read off whoever has the most votes of 'Yes' as the winner.
I am however struggling to think of many other examples of such a 'survey' poll that aren't voting for candidates, though then again I've been to quite a few forums that have this style of discussion going on quite a lot so it is kind of borderline feature/mod. It would probably be a fairly straightforward mod to make since the layout for the poll tables is (currently) easily adaptable to such, but it would be a bit of work to do right since the current style of adding options would get very tedious very fast.
Just some thoughts, I think I was one of those people that suggested this style of poll on the tracker :)
Images in sigs! please.

Amorya

Post by Amorya »

psoTFX wrote:Indeed, "survey" was exactly the word I used when I closed a couple of previous submissions of this to the request tracker :) I'm afraid it goes beyond a basic forum IMO ... nice addition ... but then that's just the point, it would make a nice Mod.
Hmmm - thou shall not covet thy neighbour's UBB?

SamG

Post by SamG »

haravikk wrote:Well I think in some cases this 'survey' style could be considered a poll.
For example if you were electing moderators for a forum from a number of canditates you may form a poll as follows ...
I guess my own concern/preference is that the poll feature not get muddy without good reason. If people want to develop a survey modification or an election modification, or if the developers want to have them all, that's fine. I just think a poll should stay a poll; a ballot, a ballot; a survey, a survey. That's just my own thought on the matter - avoid an all-in-one "solution" in preference for a dedicated, "proper" solution.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

DoD

Post by DoD »

haravikk wrote:Well I think in some cases this 'survey' style could be considered a poll.
For example if you were electing moderators for a forum from a number of canditates you may form a poll as follows:
[snip]
or, you could say "Which is the best out of A, B and C" and take the one with the most votes.

Augustin

Post by Augustin »

I was going to ask a related question (about alternative voting).

I already have a MOD going on this. Please look at http://www.masquilier.org" target="_blank and especially at the MOD's roadmap at http://www.masquilier.org/libre/phpbb/changelog.php" target="_blank

My question is, if I take on the responsability to implement this in CVS, can I go ahead and do it?
The alternative voting mod would be a nice adition to a democratic BB.

Augustin
http://www.reuniting.info" target="_blank Healing with sexual relationships

Alternative Voting (Condorcet, Approval Voting) phpBB Mod at
http://www.masquilier.org" target="_blank (currently unmaintained)

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »