Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
DoD

Re: Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Post by DoD »

DeadEye686 wrote:
DoD wrote:
imeyer wrote:To support this, think about how many servers are Microsoft based and how many are Linux/BSD/*ix based (apache, mainly.)
Think about number of MS servers with PHP compared to linux etc?

Few. I still havent found an MS server with PHP, not ASP.
All of my Windows servers have PHP installed and ASP disabled. It's remarkably easy to install, and there's no reason to code in ASP over PHP (in my humble opinion, yadda yadda).
I'm running my localhost on Windows XP using a Bad Blue Server and PHP...

but as for number of hosting companies out there with MS & PHP the number is very small, as you may as well just use Unix...

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

I was refering to setting up php/mysql on Windows. I probably could find it and do it myself but I'm lazy. I've been running a forum for years, and while it's not been very successful, it certainly works fine.
Rob

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

They're actually both very easy to do, Rob. If you aren't currently running a webserver, then may I point you to Apache 2 for Windows. Runs fast, great, and stable. Once you've got that set up, then you just go to and download the zip file with the latest version. Unzip it to C:PHP (or wherever you would like, this is the standard directory). Once you've got that all set up, add

Code: Select all

# LOADING PHP4
LoadModule php4_module "c:/php/sapi/php4apache2.dll"
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
to the end of your httpd.conf in your Apache dir. Also, you should copy the php.ini-recommended from the PHP directory to your windows directory and rename it removing the recommended from the filename. You can configure the PHP settings in there, but the standard settings should do you just fine. After you have done that and restarted Apache, you should have PHP working fine with your server. Then you will just have to install MySQL, which they have made very easy to do on a Windows system. Simply go to the download page here, and download the Windows installer. It includes very extensive documentation and should be fairly easy to install.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

Sorry for the screwed up URLs in the previous post, but I was unable to edit because of a bug, so here are the correct urls:

http://www.php.net/" target="_blank
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-4.0.html" target="_blank

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Well i already have IIS, so i'll try it that way.

I only really want it for testing snapshots, it's so annoying to have to wait for them to upload via FTP...
Rob

DK

Post by DK »

many hosts now offer automatic phpBB installs via your web space's admin control panel. I've come across about 10 now. If you're really not into setting up and installing I would seek out a host that has scripts configured to automagically install it for you.

I'm sure theres people over at phpbb.com that would install it for you for free or a nominal fee as an alternative too

That being said, the installation is pretty cut and dry simple if you're a web type ::shrug:: - I do notice YABBSE [php version of yabb] has a nifty installer now and no permission stuff is required, just dump it in and use the installer. Pretty nice actually.

coolio
Location: Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing

Post by coolio »

But we all agree that phpBB is better. :P ;)

DoD

Post by DoD »

phpBB - upload it, set one file permission, go to installer page, put in Database and Admin details and hey - its fully working...

Isnt that good enough for some people?

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

with phpBB 2.2 you'll have to set several file permissions - cache/ (maybe not if you're using DB based caching?), files/, and store/ at a minimum, config.php to ease installation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't php have a chmod function that could be used on Linux Machines at least
Rob

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Roberdin wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't php have a chmod function that could be used on Linux Machines at least
... and how exactly is an unprivledge process supposed to do something that requires higher privledges?
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way