Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
sj26

Re: Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Post by sj26 »

It's possible, but again you should be able to set up phpBB with the already implemented instructions. upload into a folder, chmod the config.php etc, and go to 'mywebsite.com/myphpBBfolder/install/install.php'. All good ftp programs will have a 'chmod' command, and the support documentation tells you what chmod's you need to do. almost point-and-click.
Sj26
*does a little dance, makes a little love, praises the UCP*
Umm... I can't change my e-mail address

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

I really don't see what is so confusing. There's no config file to edit or anything. You just upload it to your webspace and go to the install directory in your browser. The scripts will redirect you to the installer if the base config is invalid (or missing). From there, you just follow the directions. There's also the problem of compatibility and size. An InstallShield installer would more than double the size of the distribution and be completely unusable in any non-Windows operating system.

imeyer

Post by imeyer »

Not Radio wrote:I really don't see what is so confusing. There's no config file to edit or anything. You just upload it to your webspace and go to the install directory in your browser. The scripts will redirect you to the installer if the base config is invalid (or missing). From there, you just follow the directions. There's also the problem of compatibility and size. An InstallShield installer would more than double the size of the distribution and be completely unusable in any non-Windows operating system.
To support this, think about how many servers are Microsoft based and how many are Linux/BSD/*ix based (apache, mainly.)

DoD

Post by DoD »

imeyer wrote:To support this, think about how many servers are Microsoft based and how many are Linux/BSD/*ix based (apache, mainly.)
Think about number of MS servers with PHP compared to linux etc?

Few. I still havent found an MS server with PHP, not ASP.

imeyer

Post by imeyer »

DoD wrote:
imeyer wrote:To support this, think about how many servers are Microsoft based and how many are Linux/BSD/*ix based (apache, mainly.)

Ha, even better point. Thanks.

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

DoD wrote:

http://soulnet.tk/" target="_blank

Although it's soon going BSD.

bobthebest

Post by bobthebest »

I found it hard to install, but then i figured out y it didn't work, i was trying to use a host that didn't have a db or support php! :oops: So i got myself a decent host, (kind of... :? ) and now i am running it fine. If you can install a program in windows, up can install this. (But you also need a bit of common sence which i don't have :) )

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

DoD wrote:

All of my Windows servers have PHP installed and ASP disabled. It's remarkably easy to install, and there's no reason to code in ASP over PHP (in my humble opinion, yadda yadda).

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Any sites that you can recommend for help with installation etc?
Rob

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

Pretty much any of the common knowledge needed to install phpBB is applicable to most things in regards to web sites and hosting. If you don't have that basic knowledge, then should you really be running a forum?