Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
psgamer0921

Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Post by psgamer0921 »

Would it be possible to package phpBB into an InstallShield wizard, and once you type in your server and password, have it automaticall set up? I'm sure many people who want to start a forum but can't would love to have this feature implemented

Wert

Re: Suggestion to make phpBB easier?

Post by Wert »

I doubt it.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »

psgamer0921 wrote:Would it be possible to package phpBB into an InstallShield wizard, and once you type in your server and password, have it automaticall set up? I'm sure many people who want to start a forum but can't would love to have this feature implemented
Isn't that what install.php does? :P Installshield would be impossible. For one, it is Windows only. Two, many hosts don't allow C++ programs to be run on their servers anyway. Three, we already have install.php, which does the exact same that you are wanting installshield to do.

Aexoden

Post by Aexoden »

Well, conceivably you could put in your FTP details, your http location, and probably your database information... seems a bit over-the-top for a forum installation, especially as it wouldn't do anything to solve putting in the wrong information. The only step it would eliminate is uploading the files and setting permissions, and frankly, I think if you're going to run a forum, those are basic skills.

So, I really don't think this would ever happen.

Not Radio

Post by Not Radio »

If you can't figure out how to configure permissions for scripts and run a fairly automated installer, then you probably shouldn't be trying to run a forum if not for experimentation purposes.

C-3PO

Post by C-3PO »

What could be done is:

When downloading phpbb from phpBB.com that you could select wich langue and styles to included in the package. so you don't have to download and upload that in several steps.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

That also seems over the top, not to mention the extra load that would be placed at phpBB if it was forced to create a new GZip'd package everytime someone wants a download...
Rob

DoD

Post by DoD »

Its all perfectly fine the way it is

If you cant install it as it is now... you seriously need to rethink... my 9yr old cousin could actually install phpBB if i gave her the installation manual, and just told her the information... how to upload files and how to CHMOD.

Custom language / templates in your download... people need to not be so lazy!

Why make them do alot of work like this... for nothing...

Also... ;) Read the forum description... *no feature suggestions*

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Actually including a selected language was something I was considering at one point. However it's not practical unless we host the package downloads ourselves. This isn't something that we particularly wish to do.

psgamer0921

Post by psgamer0921 »

Well, I don't know php, at the instructions that came with it were totally confusing. I was just using it to test out mods for it. What about a flash demo what showed you what to do instead of just words?