Bump?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Martin Blank

Re: Bump?

Post by Martin Blank »

I just decided that only Admins and SuperMods will have it on my board, so I can smack around the four or five people that have access to it. Problem solved. :)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

I think it would be most useful in a support forum.

I'd be most interested in how this feature works - time to disassemble the next CVS :D

Will their be a log of "bumps"?
Rob

coolio
Location: Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing, Testing

Post by coolio »

IMHO you should enable the bump topic feature in the testing forums. :)

Q:Jedi

Post by Q:Jedi »

IMO, a bump feature has little practical use: If a normal user thinks a topic 's really useful, they should say so in a post - adding an opinion or an encouragement in the process. This will reaffirm to everyone else that the thread is useful as well as effectively bumping the topic.

If a moderator thinks it's great then they can use the sticky feature. If the board is very busy the bump would not last long anyway, since the topic moves down the table as new posts are added elsewhere.

(EDIT: Idiotic spelling and grammar.)

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

totally agree with Q:Jedi.come on,you're making THAT a standard feature and not quick reply?quick reply would surely be more useful.ok it's not my decision so i'll just shut up and install the quick reply mod when 2.2 is ready..o well
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Let's see ... which is more difficult to Mod? Quick reply or a properly implemented bump topic ... hhmmm. Let's see would we get moaned at for:

a) Not including quick reply but including bump?
b) Not including bump but including quick reply?
c) Both a) and b)

Answer, c) ;)

Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

/agree : bump feature is the worth habit you can give to your users, and quick reply can find some value only on very slow connection. A best result can be obtain and fullfill in a larger way by :
- having an adequat forums animation, with peoples that will in some sort dynamize it (so no post will required to be bump) <- a damn more friendly way to proceed,
- having light template with a very little amount of icons or pictures, reducing so the usage of the bandwidth.

BTW, the quick reply way gives only your user the habit to not re-read them and write in a unreadable way : a forum is not a chat, youhave all the time to write in a comforable way :). What is important at end is to gain access to the page for read the more quicker as possible (as if you were reading a book, turning the pages), not to answer the more quicker as possible as you would do "talking" onto a chat.

One thing that will be definitively a more valuable feature, but that can take place as an add-on, would be a spell-checker : the exact opposite of a quick reply feature ;).

Q:Jedi

Post by Q:Jedi »

Quick reply can be annoying. Leave it as a mod.

A spell checker would most likely be the most resource-intensive feature yet? A dictionary for each language? Forget it. a word-processor if you really have that much time.

Or learn to spell. ;)

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

the aspell dictonaries are included on many php installations.
Rob

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

well yes i agree that quick reply can be annoying,so i say leave it as an admin option.
@psotfx:i don't care if you'll add a bump feature,anyway i won't be using it.but the fact that quick reply is an easy mod as you say makes it even more difficult for me to understand why you won't be adding it as an option to phpbb2.2.it can only make phpbb better,it's a feature many people want to use-for proof,it's one of the most popular mods.i just can't understand why make all the ppl who want to use it install the mod,instead of including it to 2.2 as an option standard.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more