Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

I dont know whether its to stay, but when a topic is locked Locked: is placed in front of it, I think its a little pointless.... people can see from the locked symbol on the side.

The only reason I think its a bad idea is that it makes the forum look slightly cluttered, the moved ones are bad enough, on the phpbb forums, discussion sometimes looks like a disaster area, it will be much worse with locked ones aswell....

Anyone agree, or is it just me :D
Unique, just like everyone else.

haravikk

Re: Locked

Post by haravikk »

I have no problem with it, except with a pixel based table forum where it might deform but that can be overcame by limiting the length of the textbox for choose subject.

Which reminds me, is there any support for "truncating" (is that the right word?) long subject names on the topic list, but unaltered when in the topic? And also a forced word wrap of really big words (generally it is spam which does this, we all know the people that type ARRGGGHHH!!! with a million exclamation makrs)? I know that moderators are there to remove spam like that but if a board could be made robust enough to counter spam like that itself and always retain it's style then that would be good.
Or auto thumbnailing of images depending on admin defined setting? If an image is larger than it should be then the image is scaled until both dimensions fit the limits, clicking the image opens it in it's own window?
Images in sigs! please.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

And this is an example of not being able to please all the people all the time ... we had a request for such a prefix ... I don't plan on removing it, sorry.

Lugie

Post by Lugie »

Perhaps a simple edit of the language file will fix your problem.

If not, just go into the viewforum template and remove it from there.
I can't see the meaning of this life I'm leading,
I try forget you as you forgot me...
This time there is nothing left for you to take -
this is goodbye...

chAos

Post by chAos »

It's probably in the language file as Locked: so if you just change it to nothing, it shouldnt' appear.

Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I agree with Cloud in the part of the pointless locked prefix.

Then again I think all prefixes are unnecesary as long as we have the icons. Imho they should be removed.

But then again psoTFX have a good point. "this is an example of not being able to please all the people all the time"

Which such a complex community where everyone needs or wants something out the board, it's not possible to make it all happen with one single release. Due to this fact, MOD's were created in the first place.

You don't like how the board looks? Change templates.
You think it's missing a function? Then simply script it [or find it] and mod.
You think you don't like the language packs? Make your own, so it's easier to read for you.

And the list goes on. One word, customization. With the code, you can do whatever you want, if you can't or don't know how, I'm sure lotsa people out there is able to do it.

So let's shot for the most important, funtional and massively requested things, and then just edit the release, and mod it at will to please your needs.

I've already fully edited the UCP [hoping most of the code will remain the same at the end] to fill my own needs, I just needed a core.

It's a vast world, one people's happiness is another's misery.

TheMole

Post by TheMole »

Odd, psoTFX came out in colour on your post! :p

Erm, as for the locked prefix. As has been said above it can be quickly removed by removing the reference from the viewforum file.

I don't think it takes up too much real estate. Although, possibly if it was a locked, poll that was an announcement it could get tricky.

What would happen to that?
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke

TheMole

Post by TheMole »

real estate / screen space :p

(lots on my mind, forgive me!)
"It's a fiction like all history, it's been distorted until it makes sense" - Andy Yorke

haravikk

Post by haravikk »

Why not simply have an admin options for turning on/off certain prefixes?

A concern of mine is that with all the new features there may be one killer of an admin panel. Will there be a "Basic" and "Advanced" modes? Basic would mostly be just the current admin panel for 2.0.4, advanced options (further down the list) would be for the really nitty gritty little features which can be tweaked but may require some kind of knowledge for use.

Of course if the helpful descriptions are helpful enough then there shouldn't be any problems :)
Images in sigs! please.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Why not have an admin option for enabling/disabling every single tiny feature? ;) We don't do this because the admin would be totally overwhelmed with options and the source would contain if (...) ? true : false; every other line. Seperating the prefix output from the topic title and sending it to the template is more reasonable and is something I will look at.

No, there won't be seperate ACP modes ... it's pointless. A well organised ACP is all that's needed.
Last edited by psoTFX on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.