Question about handling bbcode in phpbb 2.2

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
wooly spud

Question about handling bbcode in phpbb 2.2

Post by wooly spud »

How will bbcode be handled in version 2.2? I found it somewhat dissapointing that bbcode in the current version is dependant on templates.

Is there any way that phpbb can handle bbcode independant of templates or is that something that cant be done?

Forgive me if this was addresed in 2.0.4 i dont use that version.
dhn

Re: Question about handling bbcode in phpbb 2.2

Post by dhn »

How would you want it to be handled different than templates? This way you have full control over every formatting.
Twisted Moogle

Post by Twisted Moogle »

Well what i want is for a global bbcode template. so reguardless of the theme someone is using they will have access to all the bbcode on the boards. it would also make it so that if someone wanted to add bbcode to the site they didnt have to add it to each template.

Same guy by the way i forgot my password. cant retrieve password either.
smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Templates give the ultimate customisability!
The aregument about multiple templates is shot, it's not that hard to do, and most templates don't modify bbcode.tpl so you can just copy/paste over.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio
Ashe

Post by Ashe »

I think that you're mixing things up, wooly. BBCodes (, , etc...) are defined in phpBB source code. What HTML they are turned in is defined in bbcode.html (or .tpl) but you won't add any bbcode by modifying your bbcode.html file, this will be handled in a separate admin page.
Twisted Moogle

Post by Twisted Moogle »

I know the bbcode itself is defined in the phpbb code itself but My point is this

1. bbcode.tpl file is always the same in all templates.
2. If a template is missing a section of code for a bbcode then that template wont show the content properly.
3. Since all the bbcode.tpl Files are the same they are just taking up space that isnt needed, Granted its only a few k but for some that small few k could be importaint, and the time better spent.

Im not against templates. I love templates. its just a thought to conserve time, space, and some tacos.
DanielJarrett

Post by DanielJarrett »

No, the bbcode.tpl files are not all the same. Most of the themes which are clones of subSilver don't modify it, but themes which make radical changes to the design do modify it. By removing bbcode from the templates you'd be going in the wrong direction: having more hard-coded HTML, when what most people are requesting is less!
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

We are actually discussing at this moment the future of templated bbcode ... so everyone feel free to make your feelings clear :)
ParadoX

Post by ParadoX »

What would be the drawbacks of having all bbcode stuff in the db? From what ive seen of the caching system, it could just be pretty permanently cached, thus not presenting any performance decreases. It would alow WYSIWYG bbcode editing/adding in admin too.

From the looks of the current CVS code, something like this would be implimented anyway... why not do it for all bbcode?
psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

erm, let's no get sidetracked here ;) The question here is, should the standard codes be templatable. If so, should all or only certain tags be templated?