Fix Post textarea

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Fix Post textarea

Post by Dragosvr92 »

I think it is a bit silly to allow people to shrink the text area, till it gets to just a line. The smilies area looks bad when you do that..
We should stop that by adding min-height: 268px; in the #message-box textarea id.
Previous user: TheKiller

Oleg

Re: Fix Post textarea

Post by Oleg »

I disagree.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Oleg wrote:I disagree.
Because.....?
You like how this looks like....?

drathbun

Post by drathbun »

If a user wants to do it... :-? You can only protect users from themselves to a certain level.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce what you've done in Chrome. It lets me increase the size of the form but I cannot decrease it more than the default size initially provided.
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns »

Add this to your CSS, and problem solved:

Code: Select all

textarea {resize: none;}
Should it be the default in phpBB? Don't know, don't care. I always use the above rule to stop the user from manually resizing textarea elements.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

TheKiller wrote:
Oleg wrote:I disagree.
Because.....?
You like how this looks like....?
I can do all sorts of things to make a forum look terrible right from the browser. I don't see why we need to stop the user from making their own decisions on what they do to how they're displaying page elements on their browser.

I also could not reproduce this in FireFox. What browser and version exactly are you doing this in?

Vinny
Style Customisations
Style Customisations

Post by Vinny »

Topic Title wrote:Fix Post textarea
Sorry but, there is no error here to fix. This is a browser feature(Firefox and GChrome) and is the choice of each user interacts with the size of the textarea.

Ger

Post by Ger »

I don't want to be blunt, but most of your ideas lately shouldn't have anything to do with the core product.
- This one
- Rounded posting buttons
- Thanks for posts
- Default avatar
While you may find them useful, it's just a matter of taste, either for the admin or the avarage board visitor. That kind of 'features' should never make it into the core, simply because there are as much people that dislike it as there are who like it. Also, most of them could be easily changed through the style or a MOD/hook, so easy enough when customizing a board. I'd rather see the devs focusing on the ease of customizations than putting the very customizations in the core. :)
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Who said i use Chrome....? I Did that in Firefox/13.0.1 by using the resize textarea button in the corner and moved the mouse up..
Easy to reproduce. Works in all browsers that support the resize feature.

The textarea should be allowed to be resized, but not to make it smaller than it is, but bigger.
Imo, the page looks silly. it looks like the text area is removed..

I dont think the suggestions make any harm. :P

Ger

Post by Ger »

Did you even read the posts made above? It isn't a bug and it's an intended feature of the browsers. No need to think for the end user. If they want to do so, then let them.
If you want to change it for your forum, it's easily done. Don't count on it to be in the core.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.