Autoselect the textarea to write in

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Dragosvr92

Autoselect the textarea to write in

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Hello, i think it would be a great idea, so that when you press the NewTopic/Postreply button. It sets the text cursor inside the textarea to write in.
That way when you load the page to make a post, you can write directly without putting the text cursor in the textarea to write in.

Opinions....?
Previous user: TheKiller

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Autoselect the textarea to write in

Post by callumacrae »

My opinion: user experience nightmare. Google does this, and I hate it. Pressing backspace to go back through pages? lolno, hi google!
Made by developers, for developers!
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

Apologizes but i dont get your point. Yes, google seems to do this on their search input. Its nice, you want to search instantly as you get ready to search instantly and not lose time moving your cursor in the window.

PS: Why isnt area 51 and phpbb using the quick reply textarea?

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

This can be easily done. Just add a function call to the onload JavaScript array for prosilver. Don't see anything wrong with that I guess...
TheKiller wrote:PS: Why isnt area 51 and phpbb using the quick reply textarea?
Just like phpBB.com, we have it enabled in a few areas, one of them being the Chit Chat forum here and the Testing Forum on phpBB.com

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:Apologizes but i dont get your point. Yes, google seems to do this on their search input. Its nice, you want to search instantly as you get ready to search instantly and not lose time moving your cursor in the window.
The document.ready event is called not only on the initial page load, but when the user returns to the page. When I'm backspacing through pages, I don't want to have to use the mouse to click out of a box every time I go through a page with an input on it.
TheKiller wrote:PS: Why isnt area 51 and phpbb using the quick reply textarea?
Because it makes it too easy to post content-free messages.
My blog

Dragosvr92

Post by Dragosvr92 »

@David, so you are agree with adding this by default in the styles? :)
Ah, i see.. but why isnt it enabled on all the forums?
I usually prefer to use the quickreply box, as its faster than waiting to load the posting page etc.....
Whats up if users post faster ?

@Callum, i'm asking so that the text cursor gets in the textarea so that you start writing the message immediately.
You can click on the page and then press the backspace button to go back, but, if you have just posted a message, why would you go back on the posting page?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

TheKiller wrote:@Callum, i'm asking so that the text cursor gets in the textarea so that you start writing the message immediately.
You can click on the page and then press the backspace button to go back, but, if you have just posted a message, why would you go back on the posting page?
If you wanted to go back to the posting page, there wouldn't be a problem. If you wanted to go back to a page before the posting page (I do that quite often), it would be annoying.
My blog

Oleg

Post by Oleg »

This is a feature that is really nice when you want it and really annoying when you don't. How about a keyboard shortcut for jumping to the text box?

callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

How about just listening for any (letter) key event and focusing the form when a letter is pressed? I don't think many people know about accesskeys.
My blog

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

callumacrae wrote:How about just listening for any (letter) key event and focusing the form when a letter is pressed? I don't think many people know about accesskeys.
+1 Although we should also listen for numeric keys.

EDIT and if we're going to implement something like this, an RFC needs to be posted.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.