Including a default Favicon for fresh instalations

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
MattF
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Re: Including a default Favicon for fresh instalations

Post by MattF »

callumacrae wrote:
TheKiller wrote:Well my idea still stands. Would be nice to include a favicon.ico which describes phpbb :D
I disagree with this - the favicon should reflect the site, not the software that powers it.
I agree with this. Favicons are a form of branding. Most sites, such as mine, have their own favicon already. I think it would be silly for software like phpBB to try to implement its own "brand" on a website's URLs.

The only instance where I could see this idea working is for users whose entire website is nothing but a phpBB forum, and nothing else, and with no real brand of its own.

I don't think phpBB should include a favicon, and then make Admins have to remove it. That is like forcing your brand on the users of this software, and making them take extra steps to prevent it or preserve their current favicon branding.

This should be a MOD/Style add-on... Not core! Only the few people who would actually want phpBB's favicon on their board's URLs can then do it.
Has an irascible disposition.

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Well, including favicon.ico will make no harm to any site which has favicon implemented already. As I explained, favicon.ico is loaded from the root of the domain, so if we include favicon.ico into phpBB installation and phpBB will be placed into /forum/ subdirectory, it will make no harm. But in case admin installs it into root of domain, it will prevent from access-by-access 404 error apache log. Also, how you can say favicon is form of branding while not considering style to be it, too? You are serving phpBB with prosilver style & prosilver-like favicon. Change style, change favicon - it is the same level of modification.

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Yes please create a ticket and mention that we need to make sure that the updater won't overwrite an existing favicion.ico file.