Set Q&A as default CAPTCHA at install

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ger

Set Q&A as default CAPTCHA at install

Post by Ger »

Currently the GD CAPTCHA is default when phpBB is installed. However, all visual CAPTCHA's are easily broken by spambots and the support team says they should not be used. Instead, the most advised anti-spam measure is the Q&A CAPTHCA:
Phil wrote:At this time, the Q&A CAPTCHA plugin seems to be the most effective single solution against spambots (and some human spammers).
I think it makes sense to set the most advised and effective solution as default.

To implement this correctly a Q&A should also be filled in on one of the forms at installation.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

naderman
Consultant

Re: Set Q&A as default CAPTCHA at install

Post by naderman »

The question is if we really want to further complicate installation. We could also make this part of the optional step, so people can skip it if they don't want to set it up.

Ger

Re: Set Q&A as default CAPTCHA at install

Post by Ger »

naderman wrote:The question is if we really want to further complicate installation.
True. I guess many people already find installation a bit hard.
naderman wrote:We could also make this part of the optional step, so people can skip it if they don't want to set it up.
Why not make it an option at the Advanced Settings screen (the last screen you get at installation)? One could simply switch between "simple" (no-GD-/GD-/GD-wave) or "advanced" (Q&A/ReCaptcha) CAPTCHA, where after initial selection the final CAPTCHA selection can be made.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.