Call it what it is, baby!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
phpdummie

Call it what it is, baby!

Post by phpdummie »

Yesterday I spent a half an hour trying to turn the Flash BBcode on for the registered users. Only some of my difficulty can be attributed to my own stupidity - the rest of the blame falls square on the developers and the translators.

First, I set "GENERAL > Board configuration > Post settings > Allow use of [FLASH] BBCode tag in posts:" to 'Yes'.

This does not make the Flash BBcode button visible, but I don't worry, for I dutifully read about "...the permission system controls which users can use the [FLASH] BBCode tag." So I go into the Permissions Tab in search of additional Flash BBcode controls. Going up and down the labyrinth of all kind of settings I can't find anything pertaining to Flash BBcode.

Up to this moment my ACP was in Russian and I suspect that my inability to find this controls are translation-related - I switch to English.

Soon enough, one line above "Can post images", I find "Can post Flash" in "Forum permissions". Flip it - get my Flash button in the editor. Cool. All done? Yes, but...

I switch back to Russian ACP and I see the reason I spent so much time looking for those controls: "Can post Flash" became "Can attach Flash" and "Can post images" became "Can attach images". I can blame them for sloppy translation, but first I have to blame those who came up with a such misleading non-descriptor in English.

If "Can post images" and "Can post Flash" really means "Can use Img BBcode" and "Can use Flash BBcode" why not just say so? Why not be more spacific?

stickerboy

Re: Call it what it is, baby!

Post by stickerboy »

Maybe you should post it to the bug tracker then :)
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/
I'm a web-designing prototyping tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || BandCamp ||
Please don't contact me via pm/email unless I ask you to/say it's ok