Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
murnauvsbuñuel

Re: Suspecting GOLD Very Soon...

Post by murnauvsbuñuel »

RC4, RC5, Gold... i hope the best stable version when this can be. thanks for your work.
sorry for my bad english i am spanish.
Image the best portal to phpBB2

DizzyTech

Post by DizzyTech »

All these Release Candidates... it's starting to look like SMF! Just kidding, I can't wait until gold. You guys have been working hard; this is definitely worth the 3+ year wait.

P.S.: I haven't been around for a while. I might be switching back to phpBB!

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

DizzyTech wrote:this is definitely worth the 3+ year wait.
Considering that phpBB 2 was released back in 2002, it's more like a 5 year wait. :D
Life's a game. Just very badly programmed.

Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

5 year wait or not, it was well worth it.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

It was actually 2001, so it's 6 years, more or less as much as Vista took. :)
Still to know which one was worth more the wait... :P

Blackmoor

Post by Blackmoor »

I think Vista was worth more than phpBB. I mean, Vista is a huge step for Microsoft, and personally the best OS they have made so far.

sotoda

Post by sotoda »

Blackmoor wrote:I think Vista was worth more than phpBB. I mean, Vista is a huge step for Microsoft, and personally the best OS they have made so far.
Linux FTW. I think phhbb worth more :)

DocBoum

Post by DocBoum »

Blackmoor wrote:I think Vista was worth more than phpBB. I mean, Vista is a huge step for Microsoft, and personally the best OS they have made so far.
Well, that doesn't say too much… :twisted:

And comparing phpBB to Vista is like comparing a spoon to a swamp… :mrgreen:

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

Well, Vista costs a fortune and phpBB3 is free!!!! Comparing them is ridiculous, besides phpBB3 wins hands down everytime. Mainly because unlike Microsoft, the team here didn't release their product before it was ready!
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

suisu-jin

Post by suisu-jin »

NeilUK wrote:[...] the team here didn't release their product before it was ready!
This is true if there will never be a security issue. So forget about it, there are too many lines to be perfect and even phpBB can't wait until the bug tracker is empty. But let's leave this ridiculous comparison - it only provokes nasty discussions.

The phpBB development team does a great job any we're down to 118 bugs at the moment. I'm using Olympus since RC1 and never encountered a severe promlem. So I think the gold version will be here in a period of three months.

Afterwards it's time to add some new features:
  • possibility to automatically change the role of a user by minimal posts (same as with ranks; when posting - lets say - for the 10th time, you change the rank from "newbie" to "rookie" and automatically get more rights, e.g. uploading images);
  • customisable welcome PN;
  • possibility to mark standard profile fields as "must fill out";
  • ACP page that shows detailed list of online users;
Last edited by suisu-jin on Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
«I've always followed the rule that anything worth doing is worth doing excessively.» (Robert Parker)