v3 Release & v2 upgrade path

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Elenesski

v3 Release & v2 upgrade path

Post by Elenesski »

I have a project in which phpBB (or some other bulletin board software) needs to be install for the end of August. Should I wait for V3 and hope it is ready for then, or should I just install v2 and wait for the v3 upgrade? Is it worth the wait?

DocBoum

Re: v3 Release & v2 upgrade path

Post by DocBoum »

:D Welcome to the club... If you take a look around these boards, you will stumble across the official answer soon: "it's ready when it's ready" and "no support for the Betas" etc.

Concerning your last question: yes, it is definitely worth the wait. phpBB3 is awesome. If you have to have it installed by August, wait the maximum amount of time (you could "practice" locally on your PC using xampp for example), and if we're all lucky, we'd have the RC or even Gold by that time. If not, install phpBB2 and use that live until the final release. Conversion phpBB2 :arrow: phpBB3 is fairly easy...

TheCoolGamer

Post by TheCoolGamer »

The only problem you have, is that it isn't sure that phpBB 3 is released in August. So you could wait, but you cannot be sure it's done by then.

SamG

Post by SamG »

But, it's probably worth pointing out that what's needed to enjoy the benefits of full support for live use is Release Candidate 1 (RC1), and it may be that RC1 will be out before the end of August. That's within the realm of possibility, I think (hope).
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Given today's announcement, it seems it's something more than a mere hope...

dirtywork

Post by dirtywork »

OMG!!!