How much would you pay?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Garrydw

How much would you pay?

Post by Garrydw »

The other topics here are getting pretty stale... Let's try something new.

Let's say that phpBB 3.0 was being released as a commercial software package... how much would you be willing to pay for it?

I myself would gladly pay somewhere in the 350.00 - 500.00 range. :D
yeah yeah yeah... I know... it will be ready when it's ready.

rossmcclymont

Re: How much would you pay?

Post by rossmcclymont »

Garrydw wrote: I myself would gladly pay somewhere in the 350.00 - 500.00 range. :D

I'm not sure which currency you mean - but whichever one it is, you're still insane...

I wouldn't pay for it - for the same reasons I don't pay for Invision and vBulletin - I would find the next best Open Source project.
Last edited by rossmcclymont on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Wow, you rich! I probably run off to smf if phpBB goes commercial.
hmm....

Garrydw

Post by Garrydw »

So to you, phpBB has no real value?
yeah yeah yeah... I know... it will be ready when it's ready.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Garrydw wrote: So to you, phpBB has no real value?

value != price
Why paying for something you can get gratis? ;)

rossmcclymont

Post by rossmcclymont »

phpBB is extremely valuable to my site - but my site is just my hobby.

I've never spent money on software for my website - in fact the only thing I've spent money on regarding my website is my domain - and that's kind of important considering people have to be able to get to my site. :P

I donated to the person that made the open source CMS that I use, and I would gladly donate a bit to the phpBB team - but I would only do that when it felt right for me to do - I would not pay them just to get and use the software in the first place.

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Garrydw wrote: So to you, phpBB has no real value?

phpBB is valuable, but if it had a price and compared it to other free board scripts, then I rather choose the free one. :)

Saves me money...
hmm....

feaelin

Post by feaelin »

I'd be willing to pay $30-$60 for phpBB3.0, having a phpBB forum is a luxury, but I'd still be willing to pay that much for what I get out of it.

For "for pay" projects I might be willing to pay more although there'd be a diminishing return there...at some point you have to justify the expense to your client.

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

$75 to $100 USD But that is assuming that the money coming from me and others would allow the developers to complete the project significantly faster. Still, the new forum software looks good for commercial and outstanding for open source.
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

TigerWolf

Post by TigerWolf »

Id pay for a pro version as long as there is always a free version that is the same quality as the current free version.
I would pay around 50 USD for this.