suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yexusbeliever

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by yexusbeliever »

ac_roma wrote: now 81 bug

i think rc every day be near and far

i think beta 6 is so big becouse bugs is less & i dont think many bugs we will find in beta 6 so i prefear wait :mrgreen:

i think if developers set on internet 5 hours per day we will see rc soon

but all one have his life and his work

thats the main point

i dnot see all developers work in the bugs

what about prosilver iam not see him

at last we have waiting only :)

I do see these devs on everyday, but I dont know if they are working on the bugs each day they're here.

As for their hours, we all know that they do this for free; so outside of phpBB, they have a life and a real job.
hmm....

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

i think if developers set on internet 5 hours per day we will see rc soon

lolz, I bet the guys wish they could get away with only putting in a mere 5 hours a day, I bet all of them regularly put in far more hours a day than that ;)

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

ac_roma wrote: what about prosilver iam not see him

ProSilver is in the CVS version, which is where most of the bugs are being reported from at the moment.

ac_roma

Post by ac_roma »

Kevin Clark wrote:
ac_roma wrote: what about prosilver iam not see him

ProSilver is in the CVS version, which is where most of the bugs are being reported from at the moment.

oh sorry i was mean subBlue Developer :mrgreen:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/memberli ... file&u=150

seem prosilver style make me crazy :mrgreen:

lodp

Post by lodp »

Now, this may be naive, but how about they release Beta6, but guarantee a full update path from Beta6 to RC1? Wouldn't that be great?

I don't know exactly what guaranteeing and update path would entail (and what possible negative side-effects for the devs), but I think it would greatly proliferate the testing/bug reports because a lot of projects, especially with non-professional backgrounds like mine, would just go live. So the quality of RC1 would be even higher, when it's finally released.

Anyway, just my 2 €ct

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

lodp wrote: ...but how about they release Beta6, but guarantee a full update path from Beta6 to RC1? Wouldn't that be great?

If I remember it well, there are no plans for full update from Beta(s) to RC1. There suppose to be direct conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3 RC1 or Gold.
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

lodp

Post by lodp »

WhiteWolfSix wrote: there are no plans for full update from Beta(s) to RC1. There suppose to be direct conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3 RC1 or Gold.

I know that nobody announced any plans in that direction - I'm just saying that maybe it would be good idea. After all, there was an update path from beta3 to beta4 and from beta4 to beta5, wasn't there? so why not do beta6 to RC1?

EDIT: Again, I don't know how much work that might be and all. But it sure would be a great relief for a hell of a lot of people, and from my limited insight it even looks like a smart move, tactically.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

WhiteWolfSix wrote:
lodp wrote: ...but how about they release Beta6, but guarantee a full update path from Beta6 to RC1? Wouldn't that be great?

If I remember it well, there are no plans for full update from Beta(s) to RC1. There suppose to be direct conversion from phpbb2 to phpbb3 RC1 or Gold.

Can I get a link to where you saw this?

kazwo

Post by kazwo »

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=517948

There will be an update path from Beta 5/6/whatever to RC1. But these versions running live with beta and updated to RC/Final will not be supported.

And why having a full supported Beta, but not the RC? Where is the difference if there will be RC1, which will be full supported to a full supported Beta 6? You just call it Beta 6 instead of RC1. The support would be the same. But there will be only support for RC, I don't think there will ever be support for a Beta.

So, I would, of course, more like a RC, but if the developers think a Beta would be better...then there should be another Beta.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

We should start a betting pool on whether or not there will be a Beta6. :mrgreen: