phpbb ip sniffer programs?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
MinimalShock

phpbb ip sniffer programs?

Post by MinimalShock »

Hi,

I am not trolling or anything like that but I know this question would be best answered here.
I am a member of quite a few forums that use phpbb. I have noticed on a couple that some members seem to know who the users are who are posting under different accounts. One user outright said that he has methods for "sniffing" out the IP address of posters on the message board.

I know there are a lot of wierd software programs out there that do a lot of questionable tasks, but is it possible these people have something like that? I did a search to see, but found nothing I could say was in use.

Thank you.

Mal

Re: phpbb ip sniffer programs?

Post by Mal »

If you're an admin or mod (I believe) you can access it very easily, right on the post itself (there's simply a little IP button). If you're referring to someone who's not an admin on the board in question, then I'm not sure how they would go about it.

jW

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

Yeah...it's nothing devious or underhanded. It's just a button that the admin and mods have access to. Your ip is simply logged when you post, but ip logging happens on...like...pretty much every website.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

IP sniffing is not a big deal… your IP is out in the open for anybody to sniff out wherever you go… it's not a security issue, but it does give away which part of the planet you live on :?
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply