Header links...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
poyntesm

Re: Header links...

Post by poyntesm »

Handyman wrote: You never have to edit much… currently you just edit the overall header to make it look however you want.

If you want a icon based from CSS you either have to edit the existing CSS files (buttons.css & colours.css for the images) or include your own which still require an edit to the stylesheet.css to import yours.
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Handyman wrote: You never have to edit much… currently you just edit the overall header to make it look however you want.

And the functions.php file to output the URL's.

So to add a button on the header you need to edit functions.php, subsilver2's overall_header, and prosilver's overall header (then of course you run into major problems with other styles other than that).

It's not just the editing I am thinking about, its that it would be more compatible with other mods and styles if you didn't need to do anymore than include a file which outputs the name, url, and image of the link to the template, and then it would automatically be added.
Handyman

Post by Handyman »

So create one and if it works perfectly, submit it as a diff file to the developers and they may use it… otherwise it's just a feature request.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

And who would we submit this to (and via what?)? :D
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ok, well, I don't have it auto including a CSS file right now...

But this is where I am at so far (I attached the file). Let me know what you think quick. I know it has pretty strange instructions...but its not meant as a mod for anyone to use, only for the devs to see if one would make the changes for us to the main package.

I have to go to work soon, so I can't finish the rest ATM, but leave me a message in this thread and tell me what you think so far. :P
Attachments
header_mod.txt
For anyone else reading this thread...
Do NOT install this on your own board!
If you want to test it, install a CVS and try it out.
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

A general note to those wanting to provide "patches". I am more than willing to review potential patches as well as fixes... the normal procedure would be attaching the file to a bug report in diff format. ;)

And please, do not overwhelm me with diff files now; I do not want to have an increased PM income now. ;) I can say from experience that only the minority of submitted patch files are able to be integrated and the best method is really to open a new bug report.

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

hmm .. I would agree that a really nice idea .. In the past I've seen many examples where the header in the template changes dramatically. Yes there are not many links 'at the moment'. But still if three or four MODs get added (Rules, Arcade, Shop, etc) .. Things do start to get a bit messy .. I've also seen people struggling more with template edits because after two of these MODs the code may seem different to a newbie .. Nice idea EXreation .. I do hope it goes under the hammer ;) (ofcourse not for SHS : :P )
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Acyd Burn wrote: A general note to those wanting to provide "patches". I am more than willing to review potential patches as well as fixes... the normal procedure would be attaching the file to a bug report in diff format. ;)

And please, do not overwhelm me with diff files now; I do not want to have an increased PM income now. ;) I can say from experience that only the minority of submitted patch files are able to be integrated and the best method is really to open a new bug report.

Ok, that sounds great to me. Once I finish what I was thinking of I will submit it as a bug report and attach a diff. :)
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

It was a general note - your bug will be closed as will not fix because it is basically a feature request. At this stage we do not want to change that much. ;) This can also be very tiny things... All bugs tagged as "will not fix" will be reviewed for a later release (be it minor 3.0.x releases or 3.2.x)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Acyd Burn wrote: It was a general note - your bug will be closed as will not fix because it is basically a feature request. At this stage we do not want to change that much. ;) This can also be very tiny things... All bugs tagged as "will not fix" will be reviewed for a later release (be it minor 3.0.x releases or 3.2.x)

That makes sense... I have a question.
If I proposed using strictly CSS (that works in all browsers) to create rounded corners in prosilver rather than images to do the rounded corners, is this considered too big of a change?