php memory limit stressed in 'manage groups' module?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
asinshesq

php memory limit stressed in 'manage groups' module?

Post by asinshesq »

I just noticed that when I go to the acp and click 'manage groups' I get a white screen and this in my php error log:

Code: Select all

PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6144 bytes) in C:\Server\Apache2\htdocs\phpBB3_test\includes\functions_user.php on line 1872
That was easily fixed...I just increased the memory limit for php to 10M by changing the relevant line in my php.ini file to read like this:

memory_limit = 10M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)
But I'm wondering if others are experiencing this too. Is it supposed to consume that much memory? Why is manage groups so memory intensive? (I note that I don't run into this issue when I click manage users or any other module I have so far experimented with.)

Moderators, I don't think of this post as a support question (I have already fixed the problem), but if you disagree feel free to move it to the support area.
Alan

juuldr

Re: php memory limit stressed in 'manage groups' module?

Post by juuldr »

Yes I thought i also have got this error, but that was with an older CVS so i don't now how it works with the newest CVS version.

urlord

Post by urlord »

I got the same error on from the CVS from yesterday

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6144 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\phpBB2\phpBB2\includes\functions_user.php on line 1968
I tried editing the php.ini file and still the same result

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

That's something that tends to happen for some php versions on WAMP servers.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

also have WAMP installed, have no problems on my webserver, but I too get this message on my installed wamp 1.7.0, doesn't happen all the time, but I did increase the memory limit seems to have helped,

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

urlord wrote: I got the same error on from the CVS from yesterday

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 10485760 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6144 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\phpBB2\phpBB2\includes\functions_user.php on line 1968
I tried editing the php.ini file and still the same result

How much did you increase memory to? And are you sure you stopped and restarted apache (or whatever your server is) so that it would read the new php.ini setting?
Alan

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Curiously, the default memory limit in PHP5.2.1's php.ini-recommended is a whopping 128M. :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

urlord

Post by urlord »

Yes I stopped and started all services. The error changes dependant on the memory change
8MB

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24576 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\phpBB2\phpBB2\includes\functions_user.php on line 1289
10 MB

12MB

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 12582912 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6144 bytes) in C:\wamp\www\phpBB2\phpBB2\includes\functions_profile_fields.php on line 26
I get no error at 14MB

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

SHS` wrote: Curiously, the default memory limit in PHP5.2.1's php.ini-recommended is a whopping 128M. :P

Ow.

I think I'd get annoyed if that were a common requirement.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Phil

Post by Phil »

SHS` wrote: Curiously, the default memory limit in PHP5.2.1's php.ini-recommended is a whopping 128M. :P
I'd like to see a PHP script that uses all of that memory :D
My phpbb.com account
Note that any of my opinions expressed in RFC topics are my own and not necessarily representative of the opinion of the phpBB Team.