Group Avatar = User Avatar?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Starcraftmazter

Group Avatar = User Avatar?

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Is it?

I was really hoping phpbb3 would have 3 separate images for a profile; rank, group and personal.

karlsemple

Re: Group Avatar = User Avatar?

Post by karlsemple »

I could be wrong, but I believe the group avatar and rank if they are set will over ride the user ones if the group is the default group for the user, although I have not played about with this all that much :)

Starcraftmazter

As far as I understand, the rank avatar/image is different from the other two, which are the same image.

I'm sure the group avatar CAN override the user set one, but I wish to have 2 separate ones, PLUS the rank image.

Grok

Post by Grok »

Yep. And you will have some unhappy campers when there avatar goes away. Another area to beware is the group Pm number of PMs. If you set this it over-rides the number set up in config. If you set it low, the members of the group will lose some of their PM's.

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

somebody asked a similar question over on phpbb.com, what karlsemple said is true, this however only effects users that are default to a group, if you add a user and not make him / her default to that group, then that user will keep whatever rank / avatar he/she had, and if that user had a rank / avatar before been added and made default to a group that has no rank and avatar, that will remove the users / rank avatar, but is unaffected if the user isn't default to the group

hope that answers your question?

Starcraftmazter

Yes.

Though are you saying groups can override the default user ranks, and not just avatars?

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Starcraftmazter wrote: Yes.

Though are you saying groups can override the default user ranks, and not just avatars?

yes :D Only if the group is their default group though.

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

I think you are wrong. As per the documentation, groups' avatars and ranks will only be the default ones for users (if this is their default group only) not having specific rank or avatar. These ranks and avatars will be shown on the group page and on the user profile only if you have not specified a rank for this user or this user has not set an avatar.
This is rather users' ranks and avatars which override groups' ones.

Grok

Post by Grok »

It not only over-rides, it replaces the members avatars. Make sure you have a back up of avatars if you try this. (I found out the hard way).

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

jojobarjo32 wrote: I think you are wrong. As per the documentation, groups' avatars and ranks will only be the default ones for users (if this is their default group only) not having specific rank or avatar. These ranks and avatars will be shown on the group page and on the user profile only if you have not specified a rank for this user or this user has not set an avatar.
This is rather users' ranks and avatars which override groups' ones.

Well, I have just tested my beta 5 to confirm what I suspected and it appears you are wrong ( it could have changed via the CVS) but avatars and ranks set for default groups do in fact over ride the individual settings.

Also after testing I can confirm as previously stated, the defaults do not reinstate after removing the group settings.

I must point out though this is how it is in beta 5 so someone should test the CVS :)