I'm in Awe! Just Floored!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Khyronny

I'm in Awe! Just Floored!

Post by Khyronny »

I've been running a phpbb for... well, for more then 5 years, it's heavily Modded. and I mean some extreme code changing mods.

I just decided to finally give a beta a go, so I installed it in a clean directory, backed everything up, and prayed to god. and I have to say, it converted the whole board!

I see no problems when we go live with Ver3, I must give Kudos to your entire development team!

just unbelievable. I thought I was going to be starting from scratch!

The Grinch

Re: I'm in Awe! Just Floored!

Post by The Grinch »

I take it you meant that you can go live when we get RC1 and not with the beta, right? ;)

Khyronny

Post by Khyronny »

The Grinch wrote: I take it you meant that you can go live when we get RC1 and not with the beta, right? ;)

heheh yes, thats what I ment. My board has slowly been degrading, some of my mods are no longer supported, new PHP and featurs are comming out, it will be nice to start fresh!

big kudos again!

Neilc

Post by Neilc »

Do you mean I could install this board and drop my data into it including my mods ?
And sorry :oops: , but what is rc1

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Neilc wrote: Do you mean I could install this board and drop my data into it including my mods ?
And sorry :oops: , but what is rc1

If you mean installing the new phpBB3 Beta 5 and installing the mods you have on a phpBB2 board, it won't work.
Mods for phpBB2 won't work for phpBB3, you have to get a whole new set.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

1. You can upgrade a phpBB2 board using the converter, but keep in mind:
    -- You SHOULD NOT use it live during Beta Testing Phase -- this is the current phase phpBB3 is in.
  2. No, you cannot convert any phpBB2 MODs over to phpBB3, MODs built for phpBB3 are not compatible with phpBB3 and vise versa.
  3. RC1 Stands for the first version of "Release Candidate" which is the next phase after "Beta Testing Phase".
    phpBB3 is following the beta, RC, production stages of software development.

Neilc

Post by Neilc »

Ok thanks, I like the board we are using now, could I use this. ?

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Neilc wrote: Ok thanks, I like the board we are using now, could I use this. ?

No, you can't use this board. You have to download and install your own ;)
Actually, phpBB3 is still in Beta stage, so its recommended that you don't use it unless you want to use it for testing purposes.
At this point, it's not recommended that you run it live.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Neilc

Post by Neilc »

lol very good :lol:

I have now worked out what board we are using, I get confused between the phpbb site this one and hacks. :? , not to mention a few others floating around..
I've downloaded the full pack of the latest phpbb 2 board but after reading the read me file, I'm shaking. 8O
I have 31 mods and 1 pending I'm waiting for an answer on in the Easy Mod forum.

I was wondering is there a section amongst all these boards where people offer their services for payment to do work for dummies ?

APTX

Post by APTX »

Highway of Life wrote: MODs built for phpBB3 are not compatible with phpBB3 and vise versa.

What a good piece of software it is!
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!