Pruning and member post count (Rank Drop)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Pruning and member post count (Rank Drop)

Post by Highway of Life »

Another example of why it is clearly not wise to go live with a forum while it's in Beta stage.

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Highway of Life wrote: Another example of why it is clearly not wise to go live with a forum while it's in Beta stage.

This is a small closed family BBS and I decided to use it to expiroment on before converting my main site forums. I only have a few of the 26 members PO'ed at me and I chnaged the database to get their post count back up so I'm ok on that now. (Provided it doesn't cause problems with resincing or what ever later on) At least now I know when I convert my main site not to setup auto pruning because I'd be editing a few thousand accounts instead of 26.
Plano, Texas

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

tffnguy wrote: To get the monkeys off my back I just posted that I would set the post counts back to what they were in phpBB2 + 100, but I'm wondering if this is a wise decision or not? Anyone have a clue and if it wouldn't cause problems what table would I edit in the database to raise the post count of each user?

Code: Select all

UPDATE phpbb_users
SET user_posts = user_posts + 100
WHERE user_type NOT IN (1, 2);
assuming your prefix is "phpbb_" and you have not modified the constants...

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

I've already manually changed all user_posts in the database back to the number they had in the old forums and added 100 to each to make up for the posts they've entered in the new forums. They're happy now and so am I as long as it doesn't cause problems later?

Thanks for the post.
Plano, Texas

Highway of Life

A few individuals on a board with only 26 members were angry because they didn't have the post count they had before? 8O Wow :?

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Highway of Life wrote: A few individuals on a board with only 26 members were angry because they didn't have the post count they had before? 8O Wow :?

Consider yourself EXTREMELY Lucky you don't know the few I'm talking about. They would put the Hatfields and McCoys to shame!
Plano, Texas

Highway of Life

Acyd Burn wrote: It is not possible at all to take the pruned posts into consideration for the resync post counts feature in 3.0.x. Also, it may not be able to be fixed at all - rather suggesting to disable post counting in those forums.
Any ideas on how the issue could be fixed?

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Highway of Life wrote: Any ideas on how the issue could be fixed?

Keeping the post headers even when they're pruned (but not deleted), while deleting the text within?
And then using them to count the posts.
(It doesn't sound like a feasible pre-RC intervention though...)

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Add a routine that raises by one on every new post a user enters, then have it where it never drops. Take the actual post count and rank from that number. Then when the forums are pruned the real post count drops, but the one in the new routing doesn't. I'm not a PHP programmer, but program in other languages and can see that it would be very little work to build a routing like this.
Plano, Texas

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

tffnguy wrote: Add a routine that raises by one on every new post a user enters, then have it where it never drops. Take the actual post count and rank from that number. Then when the forums are pruned the real post count drops, but the one in the new routing doesn't. I'm not a PHP programmer, but program in other languages and can see that it would be very little work to build a routing like this.

it would probably be a good idea to create a field in the users table that would be a running count of posts by that user that have been pruned... then the resync users posts would take that into consideration.

I'll make it as a mod if I have to, but I'm hoping I won't have to.

Edited because I had a better idea :)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply