Upgrade Script Question

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
MegaMan1311

Upgrade Script Question

Post by MegaMan1311 »

I have 2.0.21 installed on my current forum. When the upgrade script is released, will I have to upgrade to 2.0.22 to upgrade to 3? Thanks in advance!

starbuck2001

Re: Upgrade Script Question

Post by starbuck2001 »

I also have kind of the same question:

I'm running 2.0.19 with some mods that modified the vanilla phpBB's mySQL database. When converting to phpBB3, what version of phpBB do I need to be on and what will happen to all those mods modification to the mySQL database? Thanks....

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I also run a heavily modified forum. What happens during the conversion is that a new installation is used to copy the relevant data out from the old and into the new. This allows you to go back to your old installation if you chose... poorly. :)

None of your old data will be hurt, and most schema changes will not affect the conversion.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Dace

Post by Dace »

for information, i have upgraded a 2.0.13 with tons of mods (CH,...) and it works with the last CVS's official update...

starbuck2001

Post by starbuck2001 »

Thanks ....

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

As far as vanilla phpBB2s go... the UCF should support conversions from 2.0.0 right through to 2.0.22, though anything where the .x is single digit (or teens for that matter) haven't actually been tested. :P
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

XOStential

Post by XOStential »

SHS` wrote: As far as vanilla phpBB2s go... the UCF should support conversions from 2.0.0 right through to 2.0.22, though anything where the .x is single digit (or teens for that matter) haven't actually been tested. :P

I have successfully and easily converted (3 times) a board 2.0.6 (with a ridiculous amount of mine and others mods) straight to 3.0.B4 and 3.0.B5-dev

Some work needed to be done via the new ACP with respect smilies, rank images and avatars but they were all minor and easily fixed. (eg - in one case all smilies copied over with display on posting page set to off - this just meant that all smilies where placed on the "view more smilies" page rather than to the left of the post authoring text field.) None of the modded db tables and fields effected the cutover. (I don't think they were copied actually)

Works great and hats off to the team.

:mrgreen:
I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. (Lily Tomlin)

MegaMan1311

Post by MegaMan1311 »

SHS` wrote: As far as vanilla phpBB2s go... the UCF should support conversions from 2.0.0 right through to 2.0.22, though anything where the .x is single digit (or teens for that matter) haven't actually been tested. :P

Thanks!