Better Spambot Protection in phpBB3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Handyman

Re: Better Spambot Protection in phpBB3?

Post by Handyman »

jumborex wrote: I must say that the little board with my phpBB 3 test has not (yet) been visited by spammers.
Reason is (I guess) that I never talked of this test reporting the internet address.
But I would like to share one experience that I cannot exactly understand: I have set a different test board phpBB version 2, featuring the famous (or notorious :roll: ???) MOD Anti Bot Question. Apparently is really difficult to enter with automatic systems: you must answer correctly to an always changing quiz.
For my special needs I used what is called a Rebus: 5 of them really! One small image, some letters over objects, and you have to extract from this operation a phrase. More, the result was in Italian! 8O More: the Rebusses were easy, but not too much easy!
Do you know? Some people from Russia (according the data), or from USA could enter the anti spam the same. I cannot imagine how! 8O 8O 8O

couldn't they just use a translator to get in? that's what I would try.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Handyman wrote:
jumborex wrote: [...] For my special needs I used what is called a Rebus: 5 of them really! One small image, some letters over objects, and you have to extract from this operation a phrase. More, the result was in Italian! 8O More: the Rebusses were easy, but not too much easy!
[...]

couldn't they just use a translator to get in? that's what I would try.

Really? Possibly I've not been detailed enough: it's difficult to explain to people not living in Italy. ;)
Imagine this:Imagine how to obtain the correct phrase... if you are not Italian, and you do not know a bit of rebus... :P
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

APTX

Post by APTX »

Imagine the spammer asking an Italian to give him answers (or just knowing Italian) to all 5 of these rebus-es.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

jumborex wrote: Really? Possibly I've not been detailed enough: it's difficult to explain to people not living in Italy. ;)
Imagine this: Frase: 5, 7, 1, 7
Imagine how to obtain the correct phrase... if you are not Italian, and you do not know a bit of rebus... :P

Yea, I have no idea what the awnser would be. If its some italian "in" then you severly limit your internationalization. And only 5 of them? Forget it, the spammer can just get awnsers to the 5 and be set for life.
Dennis Robinson

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

ok... I see what you mean.
I don't know of any translators that would help me out on that picture... though if somebody makes one, please let me know ;)
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

jumborex wrote: Really? Possibly I've not been detailed enough: it's difficult to explain to people not living in Italy. ;)
Imagine this:Imagine how to obtain the correct phrase... if you are not Italian, and you do not know a bit of rebus... :P

Dbusto Tlibro Mpresa...
Dstatua Tquaderno Mspina...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I should have studied enigmistics, I don't know how rebuses work... :(

(Seriously, this is the ideal method to stop humans and let only bots in... ;) )
(If you get the answer please let me know.)

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Seriously, this is the ideal method to stop humans and let only bots in...

Quoted for emphasis and agreement.
Dennis Robinson

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:

Dbusto Tlibro Mpresa...
Dstatua Tquaderno Mspina...
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I should have studied enigmistics, I don't know how rebuses work... :(

(Seriously, this is the ideal method to stop humans and let only bots in... ;) )
(If you get the answer please let me know.)

Wow! and you are Italian.
Now I don't feel so bad.

but... after seeing this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebus
that's the hardest Rebus I've ever seen.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Lieutenant Clone wrote:
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Seriously, this is the ideal method to stop humans and let only bots in...

Quoted for emphasis and agreement.

You can be sure you'll have Italian Einstein's and Bots for users. :P

user99

Post by user99 »

Does having full SSL encryption for website help reducing Spambot?

Essentially, I am worried about people copying stuffs from my phpBB (well, part of my phpBB is paid contribution).
Its usually not possible to prevent fully, but at least make it little bit tough/resource consuming on part of copyright violaters. Can someone give some suggestions :)