phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Nicholas the Italian

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

rYugen wrote: Well yea tried that as well got the error again....kinda sad that it's not workin...cuz subdomains are just a folder >.<...

Well, if you're sure you've tried all sensical options... bug tracker, have fun ;)

rYugen

Post by rYugen »

hmm now i managed (without subdomain sadly) to convert my old forum to phpBB3

but the members didn't transfer as well...

does anyone have an answer for that? or how i can get the members converted as well?

ty already!

Nicholas the Italian

does anyone have an answer for that? or how i can get the members converted as well?

They should be converted with all the rest. If it doesn't happen, I can think of 3 things:
- you've done something wrong;
- you have a heavily modded forum, or you users table has been messed up somehow;
- convertor bug.

rYugen

Post by rYugen »

well i've got the members now...no problem at all...i just overread something...

anyways thanks for trying to help....now it's just waiting for RC1 so people can start modding and makin styles/themes ;D

~rYu

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

I just converted a heavily modded 370,000 post forum and it worked wonderfully. :lol:

Ok sure its not compatible with the subforum mod but it handled the orphan forums nicely.
Only took a hour or two to correct it all. ;)

sscape

Post by sscape »

I've been testing trying to convert my forum offline/locally - using XAMP and a copy of my live 2.x. It has about 1.5 million posts and seems to keep hanging around the 420,000 posts mark.
e.g. install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&current_table=15&skip_rows=421618
(earlier today it was 420142 - so it's not the same exact post each time)
with a "The page cannot be displayed" page. Refreshing causes the same problem and also going back to the start of conversion and choosing "Continue previously started conversion" results in a page cannot be displayed.

Anyone else getting this same problem? Any ideas as to what's happening? In my XAMP settings - I've set the php script time to 300 seconds and memory for scripts to 256meg.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Find out if it is hanging on the same post every time. If it is find out what the last post it did was and what the next one is. :)

sscape

Post by sscape »

EXreaction wrote: Find out if it is hanging on the same post every time. If it is find out what the last post it did was and what the next one is. :)

no - as I said - it's not the same exact post each time. Even manually adding 1 or 2 rows (or even 1000) to the skip value has little change on the outcome once it's got into this situation.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

It is a shame this resynchronises the post counts, it means on a heavily pruned phpBB2 forum where the posters have post counts of up 20,000 end up with 5,000 posts after the conversion has run.

Nicholas the Italian

karlsemple wrote: It is a shame this resynchronises the post counts, it means on a heavily pruned phpBB2 forum where the posters have post counts of up 20,000 end up with 5,000 posts after the conversion has run.

Bug tracker, IMO.
Since pruning/resync behavior has been changed lately, an option about this in the convertor should be included.

As for sscape problem, can it be a timeout issue? In this case, the question to answer is: can it be resumed? if no, why? if yes, does it crash at the same place?...