phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Paulo França

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Paulo França »

If someone would like to be confirm what I wrote in the post above, just look at the final board: http://forum.athrasoft.com

If the moderator find I'm spamming, please feel free to delete my post.
Plug smartness into your applications... make'em talk SmartPlugin!

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Paulo França wrote: If someone would like to be confirm what I wrote in the post above, just look at the final board: http://forum.athrasoft.com

If the moderator find I'm spamming, please feel free to delete my post.

That is all very well, but it has nothing to do with the phpBB conversion script, that is down to you installing your phpBB2 board on mysql instead of firebird and then wanting to change :) you are posting about converting mysql to firebird which is absolutely nothing to do with converting phpBB2 to phpBB3.

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

karlsemple wrote: you are posting about converting mysql to firebird which is absolutely nothing to do with converting phpBB2 to phpBB3.

I disagree with that.

Since Firebird is only supported in phpbb 3, then it's obvious the converter should take this into account and offer the possibility to work with different source/target database types.

So my post shows how tricky the conversion process needs to be when user needs to move the database type along with the board data. :roll:

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Yes but the conversion from mysql to firebird is a separate issue to converting from phpBB2 to phpBB3. They are two different processes and not related :)

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

karlsemple wrote: Yes but the conversion from mysql to firebird is a separate issue to converting from phpBB2 to phpBB3. They are two different processes and not related :)

Do you mean the final converter won't be able to offer such possibility? User will have to make it by hand like me? 8O

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Paulo França wrote:
karlsemple wrote: Yes but the conversion from mysql to firebird is a separate issue to converting from phpBB2 to phpBB3. They are two different processes and not related :)

Do you mean the final converter won't be able to offer such possibility? User will have to make it by hand like me? 8O

You would have to ask a developer that, but personally I can not see the conversion script offering database type conversions it is designed to convert phpBB2 to phpBB3, it is not a database conversion tool. If you decide that you want to migrate from one database software to another then that is a completely different process to upgrading of the forum which is what this script is soley for :)

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

I understand.
Do you want me to delete these posts and open a brand new topic where I could post the steps for converting the database? I have already saved the key post...

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Paulo França wrote: I understand.
Do you want me to delete these posts and open a brand new topic where I could post the steps for converting the database? I have already saved the key post...

no your posts are fine and I am sure they will be of use to someone :) might be worth keeping your steps saved you might then be able to offer them up as support in the future, this is a discussion and therefore I was merely pointing out that the forum conversion and the database software conversion are two different things :)

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

Ok, thanks. :)

ndL

Post by ndL »

DBM wrote: Is the converter supposed to be displaying anything once conversion is under way?

On my test forum, it passes the initial checks and then I just get a blank screen with nothing apparently happening with the url ../install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&confirm=1.

It looks like it's just hanging.

Having checked in phpMyadmin, it looks like some conversion has been done but little evidence of any progress in the last 15 minutes or so.

If I should report this as a bug, is there anything more meaningful I can put than "screen hangs after passing initial tests"?

same problem for me, comments?