phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Grok

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Grok »

Wernight wrote: I finally found how to solve my "MySQL server has gone away [2006]". One post had a huge amount of text ":cry:". I didn't look for the fault in the convertion tool but here is the SQL of that post.

Reference: viewtopic.php?p=170942#p170942

I get that error on my test site when posting very long posts. It seems 3.x takes longer to post than 2.x.. The same post on the same server doesn't give an error on 2.x.

MKruer

Post by MKruer »

JoaoVr wrote:
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Are you placing the new tables in the same database of the old ones?

No, 2 different databases!

Thks!

This is by design and will not be fixed.
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=7008

cellpack

Post by cellpack »

hi

when the convertor gets to the end of conversion it shows cannot connect to host? does anyone else have this it times out alot along the way and i have to do back to the install root and continue with conversion?

thanks very much!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

MKruer wrote:
JoaoVr wrote:
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Are you placing the new tables in the same database of the old ones?

No, 2 different databases!

Thks!

This is by design and will not be fixed.
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=7008

A bad idea IMHO.

Many hosts have low limits on how large a database can be.

What would work great is having the user copy config.php from their phpBB2 folder, then paste it in the install/convert/ folder and phpBB3 would automatically select the data from that database(actually, that is what we did with the Beta to Beta converters we made, it works very nicely)

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

maybe it helps to run the converter local with xampp etc. and when conversion is done you can delete the old tables and put it on the remote server - if two databases are too much for the provider limit.

Wernight

Post by Wernight »

Gumfuzi wrote: maybe it helps to run the converter local with xampp etc. and when conversion is done you can delete the old tables and put it on the remote server - if two databases are too much for the provider limit.

Yes it may help. Check the encoding also (latin1/utf-8/...).

Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

what is best? utf-8, because of the utf-8 feature within Olympus?

D@ve

Post by D@ve »

Gumfuzi wrote: maybe it helps to run the converter local with xampp etc. and when conversion is done you can delete the old tables and put it on the remote server - if two databases are too much for the provider limit.

If you have remote access to your database you can run the converter on your local machine using your the database at your provider. But this takes a lot of time if you have a slow internet connection. I got 384kbit and it takes 11 hours converting a board with 65k posts.

Best regards,
Dave
http://www.2sounde.de" target="_blank - das kostenlose online-magazin für musiker

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

D@ve wrote:

If you have remote access to your database you can run the converter on your local machine using your the database at your provider. But this takes a lot of time if you have a slow internet connection. I got 384kbit and it takes 11 hours converting a board with 65k posts.

Best regards,
Dave

I have just over 15k posts and it took me about 1.5 hours to get it all uploaded... but I did the conversion all on my localhost, so I downloaded the database to my computer and did the conversion.
It was much faster to do the conversion on my computer than it was to do it on the server.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Handyman wrote: It was much faster to do the conversion on my computer than it was to do it on the server.

Depends on the server. ;) If you're on shared hosting, to run the conversion on one's local PC could well be faster, though if you're on dedicated hosting, less one's local PC is some beefy multi-processor Xeon/Opteron with fast HDDs... running it on the server is far better. ;)
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way